Christmas in England

Search

Christmas in England

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in England

I'm considering going to London during Christmas week but would like to spend Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day somewhere in the Cotswolds. Has anyone done one of the 3 night Christmas packages some of the hotels seem to offer? Pros? Cons? Other alternatives? Many thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely book a 3-day Cotswold Christmas package. The country is shut down tight on Christmas Day (and nearly so on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day) so a country house holiday takes care of all your needs.

Can't recommend a specific one since if in the UK over Xmas I'm w/ friends or self catering.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM

"and nearly so on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day"

What about the DFS sale, nearly closed my arse
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM

Are you hiring a car? If not, then I'd imagine you'll feel a little trapped, unless of course you can spend three days in an hotel and its surrounding grounds without becoming bored. If you have a car, then it'll be pleasant, but no tourist attractions will be open.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

Yes - the shopping is good (and maybe dangerous) . But LOTS of tourist attractions are shut on Boxing Day.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM

Oh - my comment was in response to alanRow's . . . . .
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM

"no tourist attractions will be open."

Cobblers.

You can't move for seasonal jollies on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. Whether it's cheering on the local Hunt in their gallant resistance against Blairite killjoying, watching the Chippy Panto, walking across the toffs' capacious estates when there are no paying tourists clogging the place up, the greatest danger in the Cotswolds ove Christmas is dying of exhaustion.

Or liver damage.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM

I love the cotswolds and will check with relies on a good hopping town for you if that's what you want. Some are more sleepier than others.
Boxing day isn't as bad as it used to be. good shopping and plenty of open pubs. Could be fun!!!!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies thus far and I welcome any and all specific suggestions about hotels and guest houses as well as locations in the Cotswolds. The Chippy Panto sounds right up my alley but not sure if that requires staying in Chipping Norton. While shopping is also a "hobby" I have to admit that the place I make most of my purchases in England is at Boots. Don't ask- I'm addicted to Boots and can tell you the plusses and minuses of virtually every Boots in London. Sad, really.