Christmas in Barcelona

Sep 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Christmas in Barcelona

Thinking about bringing my mother-in-law and husband for a cozy Christmas in Barcelona. Any suggestions, recommendations, warnings? Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:13 AM

When I was there a few years ago I found it difficult to find a restaurant open on Christmas day. In the end I eat in a Chinese one and we was teh only party there. Apart from that it was great.
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:24 AM

hi paradis,

I doubt that you'll be able to swim on Christmas day, though it would be warmer than here in Cornwall where quite a lot of people do just that!

otherwise, having been there just 2 weeks ago, I'm sure you'll have a great time. you could probably get round the problem identified by ribeirasacra by staying in a hotel with a restaurant.

the tourist office should be able to tell you what is going to be open/shut over the holiday period. if you can try to get tickets for a concert at the palau de musica - the building alone of worth the price of the ticket.

regards, ann

regards, a
Oct 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both. Yes we are actually looking for a change from London at Xmas despite its charms. (Xmas Eve lunch at Harrods w/ Posh and Becks anyone? - Yes it happened to us! - Just a sighting.) Anyway hoping to do an apartment rental and cook our own Christmas dinner. Any good delis to recommend? Oh did I really say we were doing our own cooking?
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM

hi paradis,

we found two delis in the born area just by the santa maria del mar cathedral. one biggie full of people wanting to buy small amounts of this and that with a huge queue, and the other a bit further along with some pre-packaged but very nice things and very helpful staff, who thought we were french.

there are also the terrific markets of course which are bound to be very busy before christmas and finally the supermarkets which vary in size and quality.

I'm sure you'll have a great time - is there any room in your luggage for a stow-away?

regards, ann