Search

Christmas Eve at the Vatican

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Eve at the Vatican

Hi All!
We are planning on visiting Rome at Christmas 2010 and would really like to attend Christmas Eve Mass at the Vatican. What are your suggestions about how to get tickets? Also, any suggestions about how to make the trip more special and very "Christmassy"? Thanks in advance!
Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM

Tickets for Christmas Eve Mass at St. Peter's Basilica can be reuested from the Pontifical North American College or the Prefecture of the Papal Household. Google them.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM

Good for you that you are already planning and preparing. We just returned from 10 wonderful days in Venice and Rome. To be honest, I found myself a bit homesick for our family traditions of Christmas at home. Must say I really wasn't prepared for that. So make sure that your party understands and is prepared for something "different" in 2010! But hey, you are in Rome and it is Christmas! I allowed myself to get caught up in Christmas in St. Peter's Square. That turned out to be consolation enough.

I might suggest that if your family likes to exchange gifts, do it early or carry a couple small gifts to exchange on Christmas or purchase them there.

Suggestions for tickets are to work through your local parish (if Catholic) or someone that you might know in Rome. Be prepared for L O N G lines to get into St Peter's Basilica. Go early (for 10PM Mass lines were already formed at 4PM). By 9PM they were 4 people across and completely wrapped around St Peter's Square. We guessed that there were easily 15-20 thousand that were admitted. Be ready for security checks and standing in the Basilica. Nothing assigned as there is no seating and you go where ever they direct you once inside.

Hope our experience helps you. Let me know other things that I can help with.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM

Yes, the Bishop's Office for US Visitors to the Vatican located at the NA College:
http://www.pnac.org/pilgrim-informat...o-the-vatican/
While they can request a ticket for a Papal Mass, there is no guarantee that they get all the tickets applied for, as distribution is entirely in the hands of the Papal Household. They receive many more requests than tickets available. You are more likely to be successful if you go with a group (parish, uni, church organization etc) and if request comes from a bishop or pastor leading the group, but individual requests will be given consideration. Point out any special anniversaries (e.g. wedding).
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! this is helpful and we are so looking forward to this exciting event!