Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas decorations for apartment in Paris

Sep 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I'm spending the Christmas 2010 in Paris.. We have rented an apartment in the Marais. Question....I would like to decorate the apartment for the holidays.....will I be able to purchase a tree and wreath in the markets or will I need to check with a florist? The last time I spent Christmas in Paris I stayed on Ile St Louis. and shopped for these items at the Flower Market on Ile de la Cite but this years apartment is further than I want to carry the items. Any suggestions?
I 'll be preparing Christmas dinner for 8...is it going to be best to order special items ...the "bird", foie gras, oysters and the buche noel ...or will I be able to find these items readily when I arrive on 12/23?
I'm trying to be prepared and do as much as I can before my arrival since time will be of essence! Thanks for any assistance.
Sep 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Wreaths are not very French, but you will find everything you need in Monoprix in terms of decorations (or a myriad of other places). Yes, you can order your holiday food needs if you require anything special, but the things you listed are so standard and common that you can find them as late as 7pm on the 24th.

You might want to look for something more original than a buche de Noël, because they are really considered passée now, and if you want the format, the best thing is to go to Picard and buy an ice cream version because the pastry version makes most people want to urp.
Sep 25th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comment. If not a Buche de Noel...what is currently a dessert that is "in"....wondered about a mini macaron tree...any other suggestions and where to pick up?
I am familiar with Monoprix but never tried to purchase a Christmas tree there. Wreath probably isn't a good idea since I'm not sure the apartment owner wants a nail in the front door!
Thanks again,
jhaskell
Sep 25th, 2010, 10:17 AM

You'll see the Christmas trees out on the sidewalk in front of the store.

In terms of desserts, just open your eyes and buy what appeals to you! If the traditional French Christmas dessert were a lard pie with mustard filling, do you think you would buy it automatically anyway?
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM

This post is exactly what I was about to ask as we just booked Paris for Christmas and New Year's Eve. I would love to have a few things in the apartment for decoration through the holidays.

We'll be on Ile Saint Louis. Any suggestions for us?
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

BeachGirl 247
I asked the original posting...this will be my second Christmas in Paris. We purchased a small tree, garland, a couple poinsettas and some small ornaments at the Flower Market on Ile de le Cite We had an apartment on Ile St Louis so the walk was "do-able"....you should be able to find Chritmas items there and it's not a long walk. This year I'll only have 2 days to prepare and we are staying in the Marais so it would be quite a hike carrying everything. My other suggestion would be to visit a Christmas Market...you never know what you'll find....but worth a look. I'm packing some flat Christmas gift bags and raffia for things under the tree. If this is your first Paris Christmaas you'll love it...I think you'll find it magical. I envy you staying on the Ile...it's a special place. You'll have access to all the food items on the Ile...great pasrty/boulonger, cheese, butcher, fish and greengrocer. There is also a small but well stocked mini grocery store on the main street If you're into foie gras/confit there is an excellent purveyor.
Have a great stay!
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM

bookmark
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Thank you, jhaskell.