Christmas Day transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are arriving (from the US) at Gatwick on December 25 at 8:30 am.

Will the Gatwick Express be running that day? If so, will there be taxis at Victoria Station to take us to our hotel (since the Underground is closed)?

If the Gatwick Express is not operating what are my options for getting to the hotel?

Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Type Gatwick Express into the Text Search box. I could easily be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the Gatwick Express runs, and at no cost, on Christmas.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:25 PM

Unfortunately, there are no trains, buses or tubes running in the UK on Christmas day. You might be able to get a cab - a few of them do operate on Christmas. But a cab will be pretty expensive into central London. Adding to your problems, most car services also do not operate on Christmas day.

Your best bet would be to try some of the car services (Ray Skinner, Swiss Cottage, etc.) ASAP. While they may not be open that day, they might be able to put you on to one that is.

Other than that, you could contact your hotel in London and ask them for assistance. Some hotels do run car services/limos.

Arriving in London on Christmas Day is NOT easy unless you have friends there who can drive out and pick you up.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Janis is a little oversweeping. Most towns have limited bus services on Christmas Day.

You need to be specific to check. I have no idea, I'm afraid about the Gatwick Express.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Last Christmas Day a bus shuttle service replaced non-running Gatwick Express trains. Here's the info on that service:

http://www.baa.com/doc/bfcde6693dfd1...26a_frame.html

You might want to contact the Gatwick Express customer relations offices for information about Christmas 2003. Their telephone number (dailing from overseas) is:

011 44 845 850 1530

Can't find an email address, unfortunately.

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:37 AM

I too will be in London during Christmas and at first was very depresed about the transportation situation. I have been assured, by a new friend who lived there for the past 6 years, that a variety of cabs do indeed operate on the 25th-26th. She mentioned "mini-cabs." Your hotel may have an airport shuttle, but I'm sure you've already checked on that. Otherwise, I agree with the advice to use Ray Skinner's service. My companions and I will be using the service simply for the convenience, and we're arriving on the 23rd!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:33 AM

In case anyone is still reading this thread, I have found out some info. I contacted Gatwick Express via email, and this is the response I received:

"Hello Diane. Thank you for your enquiry. I can confirm that Gatwick will be
running on Christmas Day. It will not be the full service, however we do
believe that the Buses will be running around every 30 minutes. The buses
will replace the trains. Many thanks"

Their email is [email protected]
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:39 AM

The only public transport running in the UK on Christmas Day is a limited bus service to connect with any airports that are open. There are certainly no regular bus services or trains of any sort, even in London.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

FYI, I also contacted Hotelink and learned they do have service on Christmas Day. I doubt it's their regular service but the email response I received said they could provide transportation for their regular prices. If Gatwick Express is also bus service that day I'd rather take the one that drops me off at my hotel. I doubt there would be too many other stops on the hotelink bus.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:28 AM
AllyPally

It's worth remembering that although public transport does not run on Christmas Day in London, not everyone celebrates Christmas. I have never had a problem getting a mini-cab (not a 'black cab'). It may be more expensive but you will not be stranded.

Obviously, if you can get any form of Gatwick Express - train or bus replacement - then that is the better option!!

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Geoff....

Not meaning to be picky, but just because London doesn't have public transport around the city on Christmas Day, doesn't mean the whole of the UK is the same. Edinburgh has a fantastic bus service which runs several routes on a very regular basis on Christmas Day. We also have a free bus to take us home on Hogmanay... Great !
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:41 PM

I will be arriving at Heathrow on Christmas Day and have contacted Ray Skinner, only to be told that they are not working on Dec 25th and 26th (Boxing Day). I did receive a response from Central Chauffer Service that they will be working on Christmas Day. You can e-mail them at [email protected]. London Black Cabs will also be available, although they weren't sure how many cabs they would have available that day. You can reach them through their web site at http://www.londonblackcabs.co.uk