Christmas and New Year's in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is a repeat for those of you who also read the forum on IrelandYes.com

Foodies - Need advice ?.

We will be in Ireland over the Christmas and New Year holiday. Please take a look at the following itinerary:

We (my husband, 14 years old daughter and myself), will be traveling from Shannon to Galway, staying in Grattan House (self-catering), from December 18th through 22nd. And would like to do the following during our stay; spend a day in Westport (visiting friends), a drive through Connemera), a visit the Aran Islands and rest.

On the 23rd we will be driving back to Shannon (going through the Burren, going to the perfumery, and spending the night near the airport, to pick up my mother-in-law (70-plus year young) on the 24th (at 7:40am *sigh* or is it yawn). We thought we would just take our time driving down from Galway, (any off the trail excursions that we should make?) We have late check-in at our hotel, so there is no need to rush.

From the 24th through the 27th we will be staying at the Great Southern in Killarney taking in the great Christmas pageant that they will be having. I don?t think much is open in town, but we can walk around a bit. (We may go to Dingle on the 26th, to see the ?Wren Day?s? festivities).

From Killarney, we will be traveling to Kilkenny, staying at Wallslough Village (self-catering), through January 3rd. I believe that we will be able to see the following from here; Dublin (via train???), Avoca, Cashel (Cahir), Kildare and Wicklow. Any advice on attractions in these areas would be appreciated. Any ideas where to spend New Years Eve????

We will be leaving via Shannon on the 3rd of January, at 1:30pm.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Topping again, any ideas for day trips while in Kilkenny?

Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Couple with 21 and 25 year old sons planning Christmas trip to Ireland. Need suggested itinerary to include natural scenic areas as well as historical points. We also enjoy visiting with the locals and getting the feel of smaller towns/villages. Any suggestions????????
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:13 AM

It can be a quiet time of year after Christmas. It might be fun to go to the sales with your daughter in Galway or Dublin on the 27th Dec, the day after St. Stephens day. If you want to go for dinner on New years you MUST book dinner and do it well before you come over or you will be stuck in my opinion. Some of the hotels do deals where you can stay till midnight etc. I went to a ball in Westport a few tears back and it was the best as dinner and music was included and we did not have to leave to go from bar to bar. Also with a 14 year old this may be a better option.

Westport is lovely at Christmas time and there are some good places to eat there. Click my name and it will shopw places for westport that I went to my last weekend there.

The aran Island I would give a miss as it will be cold and a bit miserable. You will drive through connemara to get to Westport from Galway so that should be nice. You can stop in Roundstone, Lenane or Kylemore on the way to Westport.

Overall its a quieter time of year so don't expect too much madness the week of Christmas. Most people are partied out by then!