Christmas in Ireland 2006 / family of 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas for interesting things to do in Ireland over the holidays. We are travelling with our 3 teenage boys who enjoy the outdoors. Our itinerary is wide open right now, and any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:36 AM

hi mahac. can you tell us where in ireland you will be travelling to?

i found this site just now that might be of interest to your family: http://www.vagabond-ireland.com/chri...s_ireland2.htm

a couple of things to note: you would probably need to be booking accommodation sooner than later. also, in previous years as far as i know, most restaurants in dublin close for Christmas day (with the exception of one that i could find last year). of course if you are staying in an hotel open for that period then i assume they will be serving food.

a good alternative might be to rent a holiday home, but again you would need to get moving with the booking.

as i said, if you let us have some idea of where you want to go perhaps you would pull in more replies.

in the meantime check out that vagabond website and see if there is anything there for you.

all the best,
catherine
www.welovedonegal.com
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Hello Mahac

I was born and brought up in Ireland, and still live here now with my own family. I have to be honest and say that unless you have family here in Ireland and intend visiting them for Christmas there isnt really much to do except book into a hotel and enjoy the entertainment the hotel lay on, the weather in Ireland around December/January is mostly cold and/or wet, and the days are very short which make sightseeing very rushed. Christmas time in Ireland is very family orientated, with members of the family coming home from abroad, to gather together, and pubs and most restaurants close for Christmas day. If you intend staying in a hotel, I would advise you book it asap! you could try renting a house and self cater. Counties, Wicklow,Kerry, Donegal,Galway, Cork are all very nice with lovely scenery. Dublin is nice around Christmas time,the shops are full of life and Dublin is buzzing with tourists and its really nice but if its not city scenery you fancy then its not worth staying more than 3 days or so. If I can help with any more information let me know, I would advise maybe you choose a destination and make hotel arrangement without delay. Good Luck
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind replies. We do have family but I am booking post haste.

All of us are runners, and we saw that there was an annual fun run in Bray on 12/27. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:55 AM

I've no info on the fun run.

Something that could be fun on Christmas Day is to go out to the 40 ft in Dun Laoghaire and either watch or partake in the Christmas swim - chilly but fun!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Mahac

If you family are runners, they you might be interested in "The Goal Mile" its run on Christmas Morning in UCD Belfield Campus, and all proceeds go to Goal, its a charity that helps third world countries. Our family do the run every year and it great fun.
There are all types of people there from very fit, to walkers. Granny'd Grandad's, teenagers and kids, everyone is in great form.

Have a look at the link below

http://www.dsdac.com/acmslist.shtml?...=1&a=y2003