Christiania (Copenhaguen)

Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:24 AM
bidaiari

Christiania (Copenhaguen)

We are a young couple visiting some cities in the North of Europe this year (Amsterdam, Copenhaguen, maybe Berlin...). We are interested in all the Copenhaguen area, included Tivoli and the castles area, but would like to make a special visit to Christiania, or even better, to have there the accomodation. I know that, to do that, we'd have to let our car out of Christiania but appart of it, I'd like to read experiences or recommendations of previous visitors -and residents, if possible-, to know which possibilities of cheap accomodation there are in Christiania. Thanks.

Jul 2nd, 2000, 12:41 PM
Don

I personally don't know of rooms to let in Kristiana; however you could probably camp there for a few nights, as long as you were low-key and out of sight. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

The city centre is only a few blocks away. Try the tourist office across the street from the main entrance to Central Stn. for info. on private rooms in the area. May be a small booking fee, but without hostels in the city centre, and with most hotels $150+/night, private rooms are a good alternative.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 03:13 PM
BIDAIARI

Thanks Don, for your information. It is not very much what we need, and hope to be able to camp in some other places, we just wanted to know if something like these with minimun hygienic conditions (shower...), was possible.

Jul 6th, 2000, 01:29 AM
bidaiari

any other comment about sightseeings in Copenhaguen and experiences -not only accomodation in Christiania?-
Thanks

Jul 6th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Don

I posted a one day itin. not long ago for someone arriving via cruise ship. Try the search option here. In addition to Kristiana and the one-day itin I suggested, if you have longer I'd add (not necessarily in the following order) the Carlsberg brewery tour and nearly-adjacent Copenhagen Zoo (take bus); Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Bakken amusement park, and beaches north of the city (train); castles in SjŠland (trains); Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek--a really cool art museum next to Tivoli; a harbor boat tour; Kbh.'s impressive churches--walk up the backwards spiral at the church near Kristiana, check out the Marmakirken (sp?) "Marble Church"; and soak in the shopping and vibrant cafe culture that is Copenhagen.

If you have more time, definitely rent a car and tour the countryside. You haven't seen Danmark until you've seen windswept fields of green and gold rising up in gentle ridges to meet the clear blue country sky, farms sprinkled in, massive windmills on hillsides attesting to the Danes' commitment to a clean environment, the clean crisp air that reminds you even in July just how far north you are.

Across the Oresund, Malm÷ Sweden is Kobehavn's slower-paced little brother. The ferry from Nyhavn is under $10 roundtrip, or take the train from Central Stn. for a faster and slightly cheaper trip across the new Oresund bridge (car tolls are very expensive). Worth a quick trip if you have the time.

Jul 8th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Chris

I just got back from Copenhagen and had a fantastic time. I highly suggest the guided boat tour by a company called Netto, same name as the grocery stores in Copenhagen, the tour takes you past all the big landmarks(including the Little Mermaid) and is one of the only cheap things to do there. The cost was 20 DKK(roughly 3 dollars), the company that docked right next to it was charging 50-60 DKK for the same trip. The guide points out all the interesting sights and gives a little history of each. The tour stop is located at the end of the main pedestrian street in downtown Copenhagen. Also, the Sweater Market on the Stroget has VERY NICE Danish and Norwegian sweaters(great gifts), they claim to be the biggest sweater store in Europe. Friendly staff as well, they'll even try them on and model them for you! Christiania was a sight to behold, although an hour or two in that area was all I needed.