Reload this Page >

Choosing a couple of "base" cities in Southern Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Terri

I got the message from other Fodor postings to try this trip on my own rather than with a bus tour. But since I'm traveling with my 72 yr old mother and two young children, I like the idea of establishing a few "base" cities and take day tours from there (I can't imagine handling luggage for 4 and then driving all day). We will have a car, so those day tours can be either by bus or driving. We will be heading out in mid-June for about 10 days. Can you suggest a few good cities to establish as our base. I would like to fly into Dublin and out from Shannon or vice versa.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Debbie

Terri - <BR> First off, I would suggest starting in Shannon. If you are not familiar with driving there, It is much easier to get going from Shannon than Dublin. <BR>10 minutes out of the airport in Shannon and you are on your way. Dublin is much more hectic to get out of. <BR>I would probably start with <BR> Galway / Connemara as your first base<BR> Killarney/Dingle or Killarney/Kenmare as your 2nd base area<BR>Kilkenny/Waterford as your 3rd. <BR><BR>With traveling with both and elderly Mother and children , limit yourself to 3 bases - 3 nights each , and then use your last night near your departing airport. <BR>If you find an area you love - you could even do 2 - 4night bases. <BR><BR>good luck. <BR>Debbie

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Ann

I don't have many specific suggestions on where to base yourself, but I would set up camp in smaller towns rather than cities. Traffic in cities in Ireland can be a real mess, and there's no point in getting caught up in it on your vacation. Of course, some smaller towns like Kilkenny also have severe traffic problems.<BR><BR>Since you want to fly into one airport and out of the other, I would just pick two places and split your trip between the two. I'd fly into Shannon and out of Dublin. I'd base someone in the Connemara area, in or near a little town like Roundstone. For the second half, I'd go somewhere like Laragh or Glendalough, which are very close in Dublin (in the Wicklow Mountains), but you'd never know it.<BR><BR>There are lots of great towns to choose from, so I'm sure you'll get other good suggestions.<BR><BR>I would avoid the town of Killarney, and I find it to be a tourist hellhole. There's nowhere else in Ireland where you'll find pubs that set up that long folding tables you see at church dinners to fit all of the American, Canadian and German tourists. The pubs also offer so-called &quot;traditional&quot; entertainment, which is as far from traditional Irish music and dance that you can get. You also can't find a decent meal there, and the bad food is also expensive. The countryside around Killarney is gorgeous. Just stay out of the town, unless you're looking for plastic leprechaun souveniors.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Lillie Harty

I was in Killarney yesterday and had a wonderful day there.I had lunch in the restaurant of Muckross House 2 miles out of town which was excellent and also did a tour of the house itself,where Queen Victoria spent her last summer vacation with her husband before he died in 1861.The Natioanl Park is breathtaking and you can see a lot of it as you drive from Killarney to Kenmare.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Laoghaire

Hi Ann...You mentioned staying in Roundstone in the Connemara. Have you ever been at any of these BandBs--Errisbeg Lodge, Rush Lake House, or Heatherglen House? We are planning on basing there for a few days next May. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Helen

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Kathy

I think Killarney would make a good base but if you want something smaller Kenmare is charming. One caveat, though, when looking at the maps it's hard to tell which is the better route, so ask a local. They can tell you what's scenic and what may be faster. From Killarney to Kenmare via Ladies View is beautiful but very winding and slow. We took a different route back and saved a lot of time. Travel times will always be longer than you think, so plan accordingly.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Jean

With this type of group where much of the responsibility will fall on you you may want to choose two or three areas which will provide a varity of activities for both good and bad weather and try to accommodate in a B&amp;B where posters on this board can assure you that you will be &quot;mothered&quot; by your hostess ( a real possibility in Ireland).<BR>My suggestions:<BR>A few days on the outskirts of Galway, perhaps Spiddal. This will afford you scenic day trips, beautiful beaches, great shopping in Old Galway, good ammenities for tourists, castles, etc.<BR>A day trip to the Aran Islands and sightseeing van drive around the island will get you out of the car and should interest all. I recommend staying at Tuar Beag B&amp;B on the coast road in Spiddal with Shibhon Feeney who will take great care of all of you! You can access Spiddal in a 2 hour drive from Shannon.<BR>A few days in Dingle will provide the same attractions as the Galway area..activities (both rain and shine) that will please all ages..goood tourist amenities and a number of B&amp;Bs and farmhouses that will make your comfort their priority.<BR>Bambury House<BR>The Lighthouse<BR>Mt Eagle Lodge<BR>Although many posters consider Killarney very touristy the advantage to the area is again the same as above..many multi age attractions for both good and bad weather, many restaurants and good child friendly B&amp;Bs.<BR>Crystal Springs (in town)<BR>Arbor villa (a short drive out of town)<BR>When you decide on your itinerary let us know and we can make our suggestions more speciic!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Debbie

Terri - <BR> If you do choose Killarney - I can whole hearted-ly recommend Crystal Springs Guesthouse. My 60 yr old Mother &amp; I stayed there in 2000, and loved it. To this day , she still talks about how much she enjoyed staying there. <BR><BR> Actually - it is the place I booked first for our next trip , in April 2003 - this time taking Dad &amp; my oldest brother. <BR><BR>they have a website - crystalspringsbb.com<BR><BR>Good luck - Debbie

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Terri

Thanks for all your great input. I can't wait until I get over there.<BR><BR>Terri

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:56 AM
myles

if staying in killarney i would highly recommend the ryan hotel it is a modern hotel not particularly pretty but the activites for children are excellent.have stayed there 5 times with my mother (76 and my daughter age from 7to 14.the acticvites cover all ages . they have day trips organised for old and young <BR>the prices are very reasonable and the child price is very cheap.breakfast is served until 12.00 good swiming pool and sports hall.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Terri

Thank you so much for all your advice. I think I'll fly into Shannon and stay around Galway for 2 nights, Killarney/Kenmare for 3 nights and Waterford/Kilkenny for 2 nights, ending up in Dublin for 2 nights. Then depart from Dublin. Does this sound like a good plan?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Debbie

Terri - <BR> Unless you really want to see Dublin - You may find it very hectic with your Mother &amp; 2 small children.<BR><BR>Also - double check what kind of deals you can get on airfare. Some of them require you to fly in&amp;out of the same airport. ( For example - one of the recent Aer Lingus deals was only good if you flew in and out of the same place) . <BR><BR>Good luck.