Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Lots of recent posts about mid-winter travel, why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:01 AM
metoo

Just noticing the recent postings asking questions about January or February travel to Amsterdam? Can someone tell me what the appeal of Amsterdam in these months would be, despite the cold? Sincerely wondering - not being snide or anything. Is it just a cozy, low-key time to be there?<BR>I'm actually a fan of off-season travel, so please describe the advantages or special seasonal pleasures of mid-winter Amsterdam. I could get quite envious and decide to join you! Thank you.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:10 AM
sara

metoo,<BR>you too huh? I have been sitting here trying to figure out how to get off from work for a long weekend in Amsterdam. I just want to sit in a coffeehouse and chill.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:15 AM
angry

Metoo...If you are a fan of off season travel yourself,should'nt that tell you the advantages?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:50 AM
frank

Going there next week - but February is a better time - tends to be sunny &amp; dry in Feb, though cold.<BR>Nov/Dec is wet.<BR>A'dam is very very crowded in the summer, accom has to be booked well in advance &amp; at a premium price.<BR>In Feb the place is still lively but not overcrowded, hotels offer much better deals &amp; can be booked at the last minute, restaurants are easier to get into etc.<BR>The place doesn't have an off-season feel in Feb.Only in Jan do things slow down a little.<BR>I prefer to be there in Feb than in summer.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:39 AM
quinty

It seems to be a push from the US. Fares are very cheap. I got r/t from LA in Jan/Feb for $269.<BR>I don't mind winter (I live at 6000 ft. elevation) so although we're near LA, it's pretty wintery here - just 34 degrees right now.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Josh

I wish i could see Amsterdam in the springtime as well. Even so, Holland is still a beautiful country in the winter.<BR><BR>Ive been here in Holland for 3 months now (and have one more month left before I come home to the states).