Choices / preferences Galway, Connemara, and Clare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I'm trying to decide between a few options for the Galway-Connemara and Clare-Burren part of my upcoming trip in June. Here's what I'm considering - any input on the places and the towns/locations would be much appreciated.

In Galway/Connemara:

Salthill
Carraig Beag B&B
-OR-
Oughterard
Railway House

Clifden
The Quay House
-OR-
Ballyconneely
Emlaghmore Lodge

In Clare/Burren:

Ballyvaughan
Rusheen Lodge
-OR-
Miltown Malbay
Berry Lodge

Thanks!
Alan
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I stayed at the Waterfront House in Oughterard and liked it very much. http://indigo.ie/~waterfnt/ The Waterfall House gets very good reviews also in fact that is where I meant to book. I loved the views from the Waterfront house and when she found my wife had washed a few clothes in the sink, she dried them for her.

Bill
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Bill!

Anyone else have any preference between these places? Salthill vs Oughterard, staying in town in Clifden or down in Ballyconneely, Ballyvaughan vs Miltown Malbay?

Thanks again -
Lin
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM

When I stayed in Miltown Malbay (it was at Fitzgerald's B&B) I had amother motive: to play golf at Spanish Point Golf Links.

If you happen to be in the Miltown Malbay area in early July, that's when the Willie Clancy Memorial Summer Scoile (Irish Trad music and Step-dancing) happens.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM

If it helps, I really liked Oughterard asa small village and it's location on Lough Corrib is lovely. It should be noted that I don't drink four pints an hour and then jump in a car and drive so I'm comfortable having a drive at the end of an evening.

Bill
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone - any one else have preferences in these areas?

In Galway/Connemara:

Salthill
Carraig Beag B&B
-OR-
Oughterard
Railway House

Clifden
The Quay House
-OR-
Ballyconneely
Emlaghmore Lodge

In Clare/Burren:

Ballyvaughan
Rusheen Lodge
-OR-
Miltown Malbay
Berry Lodge

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Railway Lodge...did you stay there? Looking at it myself for our trip in July.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM

In Clifden, I believe I would stay at Quay House as you could park your car and walk. I stayed a little over a mile and half out of town and would have been better closer in.
I did stay in Ballyconneely for one night and it is almost too quiet.

I like smaller towns so I'd go for Oughterard also.

Ballyvaughan would be my first pick as I think it is more central for The Burren.

Have a great trip, Joan
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM

We are planning a trip similar to yours in July and I was trying to decide between The Quay House and Byrnes Mal Dua. Just curious ...did you decide to stay at The Quay House.
We are still putting our itinerary together and at the moment are staying in Galway city and venturing out to see the sights in Clare from there. Wondering if we should be staying in a smaller town midpoint between the two. Any thoughts on this itinerary would be appreciated as you have already done your research.
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM

We stayed at The Doolin Activity Lodge (not the Doolin Lodge) for 3 nights and took day trips through the Burren (Ballyvaughn), cliffs of Moher and the ferry to Innishmore. It worked out great. The Doolin Activity Lodge was wonderful!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM

susiev,

I did stay at Mal Dua and it is the place I felt was too far out. It's very comfortable but I understand Quay House is also. Quay House is a short walk up to the village but on a rather pretty little street and not as busy a road as Mal Dua is on. Mal Dua's owner did take us in to the village, but if we wanted to stay late, we'd need to find a cab to bring us home.

Joan
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM

thanks joan
Any thoughts on Galway city vs. places in Clare. We want to see the places in Clare ie The Cliffs, Aran Islands and the Burren.. but also want to spend some time in Galway. We are tentatively booked to stay in Galway City for 2 nights. I am attempting to find a balance of activites that will please 2 teens and husband.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM

susiev,

I've stayed Spanish Point, Ennistymon, Lisdoonvara, and Ballyvaughan all close to the Burren but not in Galway town. From what I've read on this forum, Galway seems to be a place young people would really like. You may want to start a new thread with that headliner as we are posting on mrfOnt time. susiev, I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on Galway and the Burren if you start that new thread.

My best to mrOnt and to you, Joan