Chiusi: leaving car, catching train

Jun 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Chiusi: leaving car, catching train

A dilemma: The Hertz office, right across from the train station in Chiusi, doesn't open until 9 am. There is supposedly no drop box there. The train to Rome that my gang needs to catch leaves at 9:35 am.

I would like to know if this is doable. Is Hertz really just across the street from the train station? Is the station large and confusing, or small and simple to navigate? This group has not been in Italy or taken trains before, but they will have been there (Italy) for 10 days before this connection needs to be made.

Are there other reasonable places to leave a car and catch a train that are near enough (1 hour and 8 minutes, according to Michelin, Montalcino > chiusi station) to Montalcino that would be a more reasonable alternative?

What about Siena? I was worried that the station there might be very hard to find...

Any thoughts, please?
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM

We arrived at Chiusi station from Rome on the way to Siena. It is very small! Limited services and a small platform outside. Navigating it will not be a problem.

I did not see a car rental office directly across the street, but it could've been a short walking distance away. The bus pulled up right in front of the station and that could possibly be a solution if you looked into dropping the car the day before, depending where you are staying at that point.

The trains we took (frequently), especially the local IC ones, were often late. I don't know if I would count on using a train that morning to meet the Chiusi connection to Rome. Make sure your group has water and snacks with them at Chiusi- that's where our train was cancelled and we had to wait four hours for the next one!

Hopefully you will have way better luck. But taking the bus from Siena to the station might be the solution- the times are about the same, I think.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

I checked the Siena train times and they all go through Chiusi or some other city on the way to Rome.

They are staying at Castello Banfi, where they should be more than willing to help them out. I will probably ask CB for some information about the drop off place, and if they can help them get there.

When you say water and snacks, do you mean that in four hours there was no place near the station for a meal or snacks?
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM

tuscanlifeedit,
Yes, the Hertz office is across the street from the station. I saw it as I was looking for a bar, which was also right across the street, to get a quick coffee before boarding my train. Chiusi station is very small I have been in bigger restaurants.
I have never taken more than fifteen minutes to drop a car, usually about five minutes.

Henry
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:13 AM

You can't miss the Hertz office - The Chiusi train station is down the hill from Chiusi itself and the station is tiny. No problems at all, just get there a bit early and unload everything and be ready before 9 AM and you should have no troubles.