children in Europe

Apr 17th, 1999, 09:15 PM
cary

children in Europe

Will be travelling with 2 children, 15 and 12 , to Switzerland, France, Italy, Germany, What cities, sights, activities would you suggest? First time to Europe for my children.

Apr 17th, 1999, 11:55 PM
Martha B

One place they may find interesting is the Cite de Science, on the outskirts of Paris. Don't be afraid to do all that tourist stuff which might bore sophisticated travelers, like going to the top of the Eiffel Tower and riding the Bateaux Mouches up and down the Seine. Depending on their tastes, they may enjoy castles and palaces, the gaudier (sorry, Europeans, I meant more luxurious) the better. There are also physical activities like hiking and kayaking. Maybe you can get them involved with the planning? They may have ideas of their own.

Apr 18th, 1999, 08:00 AM
Brian Kilgore

I once drove from Geneva south to Cannes alone small back highways, and remember thinking that this would be a wonderful route for kids who think about knights and old wars and jousting, etc. It seemed to me that knights just might ride around the next bend in the road. Kids love to see things in person that they can later see again on television or in the movies, or have seen before.You might rent the video of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, for instance, and then take the kids to the Riviera. Rememb er to prepare the family for toplessness, incidentally. This may or may not be a big deal. Kids seem to love getting on the water, so that means boat trips on the Seine, on some Swiss lake, etc. Give in every once in a while, and take them to McDonalds, if they want. If the kids show any interest, buy them their own cameras. I'd never go back to Dusseldorf except to visit friends or for business, but I'd go back to Cologne. In paris, go to the latin quarter and buy French Fries from street-widowns, and walk around with them in paper cones. Eiffel Tower for sure. Zurich beats Geneva for kids. Venice is a winner for all ages. Big lines in Florence; check about how to book museum admissions for certain times, to avoid the lines. Two cathederals is probably one too many for kids. Most kids want to see how kids their own agfe live, so make sure you visit a shopping district, etc. Encourage the sending of lots of postcards by the kids, which means getting addresses of friends and relatives before you leave home.

Finally, without knowing your kids, remember that kids often seem indifferent, so don't get too annoyed that this big trip seems to be falling on deaf ears, so to speak. You might rent National Lampoon's European movie, just for fun, too.

BAK

Apr 18th, 1999, 08:12 AM
Maira

In Germany, I highly recommend the Bavarian Region if travelling with the young ones. Specifically, the area of Garmish-Patenkirchen (sp?) with beautiful and quaint bavarian towns ideal for hikers, skiers, and the outdoors type. Great restaurants, hearty food. In that area, I enjoyed going up the Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany. It is a little expensive (about $30/pp), but up at the top there is a ski station (amazing skiers!), a metereological station, a small museum, a small church, a souvenir stand, etc...You can up the gondola, down a train or viceversa. It was very interesting. Have the best time!

Apr 19th, 1999, 08:13 AM
Debbie

Cary-could you give us more info on what your children like?What are their sexes;like indoor or outdoor things,etc.And when would you be going? I have a 16 year old boy and 14 year old girl who have traveled to three of those countries(the most recent being Italy last month) and I would be happy to suggest some things if you want to email me.Debbie
Email at [email protected]

Search this Thread