Chicken out and take a tour;go back to Paris or PLUNGE & go Solo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading with interest other posts regarding Prague and things to do and amp322 has given me good information. Is it too daunting to go to Vienna, Prague, Budapest and/or parts of Poland? I would fly into one city and try to fly out of another. I spent 6 wks last summer between Paris/S. of France/ Spain,Gibralter,Morocco/London. I was a little tired at the end especially after standing in the line for Wimbledon tickets...but wanted the experience....am concerned about the language barriers in eastern europe...carrying luggage on and off the trains...is there some help...what towns are closest to the train stations...should I just take a tour and be done with it or just go back to Paris or London??Thanks..Johanna
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Johanna - do Vienna, Prague, Budapest, and Poland, and do it on your own! You don't say how long you have, but assuming you have a decent amount of time, I'd say go for it!

I wouldn't worry about the language barriers - we all travel to places where people don't speak much English, and we manage just fine. People in Prague and Vienna speak English. I haven't been to the others.

Trains go between these cities. In Poland hit Warsaw or Wroclaw or Krakow (read up on them on this board).

As far as luggage - pack light. One 21" suitcase, one carry-on - that's it. Then you won't have a problem pulling your stuff around.

After your six week tour last summer, there is no reason you can't do this. And personally, I don't like tours. Too much structure.

Just so you know the perspective I am coming from: I am a 34 year old female. I am leaving 1 month from today for a 2 week trip to Spain, by myself. I am going to Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Granada, and Barcelona - using trains, buses, a rental car, and an intra-Spain flight.
I have booked it all online.

If you are worried about being tired, pick a few cities, don't move around too much - but definitely GO!

Karen
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Don't worry about not speaking the language. the major cities in central/eastern europe have essentially caught up with western europe in terms of english. Even in small towns english is widely spoken - especialy by young people. And menus, signs etc are almost always in English (We were in Budapest less than a year after the russians left and in the major museums the displays already had hand-typed labels in English pasted over the previous Russian signs.)

Don't worry - you'll have a great time.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Johanna - NEVER cave to the tours! You are very experienced by the sounds of it you'll be fine! Have fun!

Lily
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hi Johanna, Did you say you'll be travelling in the summer? If so, you can pack remarkably light tops & a few wrinkle resistant bottoms, and have a light suitcase. I surprised myself last year with my lightest bag ever (only took about 10 international trips to lighten the load!) Did several loads of laundry in Prague (in FAST American style appliances!), and was in style!

Anyway, experiment with packing, and, if you stay in hotels, most will give you soap & shampoo & a hair drier, etc, so you'll be even more junk free. I have never had anyone help me with bags when I am taking European trains. As far as I've seen, there are no "valets" !

If you are afraid to plan a solo trip, look on some tour itineraries. Your combo of countries is a popular one. See how they set up the itineraries, and figure out if you can do the same trip on your own (similar price, attractions, etc). You can always find good tour guides in all those cities, if you want to arrange a personal tour of the major sights (or off the beaten path ones..) You CAN do it on your own, but you can also get good deals on a tour, so compare prices & decide if you'd rather have flexibility of solo travel, or the "security" of more rigid itineraries & more "help". When I first went to Prague, I had a lot of guidance, but I have since learned to easily navigate there on my own. If you read up enough, I think you can do it on your own the 1st time.

Good luck & have fun!

PS: If you need help, always try asking a college aged person. Most speak excellent English (in ALL your destination countries).
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Karen, NY traveler,Lily and Amp 322.I really appreciate each of you offering encouragement and advice. So far, I have gotten all of my "push" from here. Most of my friends dont like to travel or are afraid. What would be the best month? I think it will be cool in March and April. I think May would be a good month?....What do you all think? I will have to practice that packing...I am getting better but still have a way to go...Would it be best to get a Eurail pass from the States for these countries? I will get other ideas on hotels in Poland and keep everyone posted..many thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I have never used the famous "Europass" so I really can't advise in that area. Because I normally do alittle of every kind of transportation, it never seems to make sense for me to buy.

Having said that, I do get into the individual train websites and print off samples to take with me. For example if I'm in stuttgart and think I might want to take the train to Paris - I print up an itinary and then if the people at the train station don't speak english (even if they do) I can just show them what I want all I need to do is give them the correct dates etc...... this works for local destinations too.

Lily
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM
JonJon

Let's face it, the MAJOR difference between going on an organized tour and doing it on your own is that someone else does the organizing. I know that sounds simple-minded but your decision, when traveling solo, to spend, say, only one day in Place X and then move on isn't any different than going on a tour that only spends one day in Place X and then moves on. Unless you are very loose about your travel itinerary and your hotel reservations you are, like an organized tour, pretty much bound up to a "schedule." That said, I am always amused when people talk about "caving in" to a tour as if it is some mark of shame and that sort of comment really makes me think we've suddenly heard from another unfortunate prisoner of their own stereotypes

The advantages you have when doing the organizing, aside from the ego-boost, are the control you'll have over your time and the discretion as to how to spend your day. If that is important to you then don't go on a tour.

You've already traveled around once by yourself and I'm sure you'll do well if you do so again. I agree with those who say the language "barrier" is less problematic than you might think..but that is probably more true in the more-often-visited-by-tourists-cities (such as Prague) than in the boonies. Budapest certainly doesn't pose major language problems for a tourist, or do you prefer the term "visitor"? from my own experience, nor does Vienna and ditto Prague. Poland I cannot speak to

I've done the others by train, all on the same trip and I never count on baggage help at any station so I use fully (four)-wheeled luggage or backpacks or a combo of both.

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary; just don;t allow yourself to be intimidated into a travel plan or mode that you aren't comfortable with and have a great time.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi Johanna,

For cost of tickets vs railpasses, go to www.railsaver.com and enter your itinerary.

Be sure to click the "only if it saves me money button".
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Oh come on. A little less caffeine please. "Prisoners of their own stereotypes"? They just don't like tours. Yikes, they may have offended the "tour people"!

I guess this board wouldn't be so much fun without a little name calling though.

Bill
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM

JonJon - that is not the only difference between a tour and doing it on your own. I went on a tour to Italy (not my preference, but I "caved" to my aunt), and although I had a great time, I would not do it again. Why?

- You have to be on their schedule - meet in lobby at 7am, meet for dinner at 7pm etc.
- You share a lot of meals with the same group of strangers - after a while, I didn't want to see them anymore.
- You share a bus with the same 40 people (try listening to an old couple complain and argue on a bus for hours every few days.
- Less flexibility once you are there. Even if you organize your trip, you can adjust once you get there. Not so much on a tour.

Anyway, there were some plusses to the tour - didn't have to plan, luggage got picked up for us each day, didn't have to transfer ourselved to train stations or airports. But overall, I'd much rather do it on my own.

Karen
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Johanna, I don't know if you've made your mind up yet, and I don't know how much energy you have, or how old you are, but I will offer some of my experiences. I have done some extensive travel alone [okay, not quite alone, husband came too!], and we did a tour, and we stayed in one place for a extended time, to soak in more at a relaxed pace. There are advantages to each. Regardless, I researched, even when a tour was involved.

Last year, this time, we were in Australia and New Zealand for a month. For most of it, we were on our own, but we did do a ten day tour of the South Island, which was the first time for a group tour for us, and there were many pluses. The obvious was, not having to lug suitcases in and out of cars, trains, planes, etc. Even though we packed light, it's still a project, when you're hopping around. Second, there was much more local info and side notes that we got from the tour, giving us a more thorough feel for the area, when we did the tour. Granted, our tour director was a local and extremely good. Third, we made some friends on that tour, and have gone to visit some in England, they will visit us in NY, and the same with an Australian couple. This was an unexpected perk regarding the tour. Is your trip this year going to be lengthy? You mentioned that your last one was 6 weeks. Perhaps it's an option to do part of the trip yourself, and then pick a tour for an area you feel most intimidated about. By the way, my daughter's favorite European city, so far, has recently become Budapest. She loved it, and didn't speak a word of the local language.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:51 PM

johanna - I've been wrestling with essentially the same dilema for the past couple of months. I want to go to Prague (and somewhere else) but wasn't sure I wanted to do it as a solo trip. I've been to Europe several times but always with at least one other companion. I feel quite comfortable with Paris and London - even to go alone, but I wasn't sure about Prague. But thanks at least partly to people on this forum I've decided to go for it and I just now (only minutes ago) booked my airfare. So if I can do it so can you!

When (if) you decide to do it please post details of what you decide to do. I'm flying in and out of Milan (my miles reward program only allows travel in and out of the same airport - no open jaws) since I also want to do northern Italy. I found a cheap (about 40 euro) flight from milan to Prague. Haven't decided whether or not to include Vienna or what exactly to do in Italy yet, but I have lots of time as I'm not going till July. Good luck with whatever you decide. And someone plese reply to this and tell me I did the right thing!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Isabel (and Johanna!), if you end up in Prague around July 20th or later, I will be there for at least 3 weeks, so I can give you the grand sweeping tour of the city & guide you around. (If that would make you less scared to go solo!) Anyway, whatever way you choose to go, you will love that city and be glad you went! - Ann Marie
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks for all the great sharing!I think the fear...is that of the unknown...pickpockets etc...I just came back from a 2 wk tour to Cuba and was told there were pickpockets,not to talk about government, not to say I had some Cuban relatives...etc, etc.I had a terrific time enjoyed all the plus' of tour traveling...people to eat with and share the day's events...luggage taken for me and most plans made...and some friends made..but the negatives...long bus rides...planned trips to cigar factories and rum factories and "party meetings" were a little frustrating...my best day was when I left the tour and went with 3 other ladies on a 4 hr horse and buggy ride and saw the "real havana" not shown to tourists and met with the locals and their children and went into their homes...that is my reason for going solo..if I can get over the initial fear of the language(i speak spanish so had no problem in Spain, France or Italy)AnnMarie would love to meet up with you but was thinking of going midApril to the end of June..JonJon...I would never change cities in one day as I like to meander around the old towns, I love architecture and antiques and mainly love the people..my dad's family were from Poland so I would like to visit.LoisL, your idea of traveling alone and then taking some tours is a great one...that is what I did in Paris last yr and in Spain I took the tour to Granada but went alone to Jerez and Gibralter and took a tour to Morocco and went to London and sites alone but took a tour to the Cotwolds and Oxford and went to Bath alone. If I "chicken out" for the vienna/prague/budapest/poland trip...I will definitely go back to London alone and go on to Scotland and Wales...but keep the support coming. I took down all the train info from another post about the train trip from Prague to Olomouc and then to Krakow so I will be researching that...It would be great fun to meet in a city with other fodorites...Annemarie: where are you staying? Thanks...happy planning
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Johanna,

No idea where I'll stay this year. In the 7 times I've been there, I've done everything from staying in hostels, to renting a penthouse apartment with glass walls! Check out these websites for some ideas: www.marys.cz , www.travel.cz , www.athos.cz

What kind of place do you prefer? I know lots of other websites, but if I know your comfort level & budget, I'll have a better idea of which ones are for you. Staying outside of Prague 1 will save you money, and I actually enjoy taking the public transportation & seeing more of the city & the local life. Take care.. Ann Marie
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:56 AM

ann marie - Our dates are so close, yet if I stick to my original plan I'll just miss you. I fly into Milan on the 14th (of July) and can get a volare flight 4 hours later to Prague. I thought that sounded good as I would already be at the airport. I was waiting to book that flight till I had the transatlantic tickets in hand (which should be next week). I did arrange the travel day to be a Wednesday since volare has flights at different times depending on the day of the week. I am tentatively thinking of five nights in Prague and then I'll move on to Venice. I could be talked into more. My total trip is 17 nights and I want to do a few days in Venice (2nd trip there) and the rest in Florence and possibly Lake Como. I had originally planned on longer in Prague but most people on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to think 3-4 days is a good first trip to Prague so I thought five would be generous and there is a lot of Italy I haven't seen. I was going to also stop in Vienna but that's not sounding as exciting to me and the travel connections aren't as smooth as from Prague straight to Venice (agian on Volare).

Anyway, I would definitly like your help with information on Prague and places to stay. I was going to do a little more research first and then ask my questions. I hope you check this board frequently. In my first check of some of the accomodation sites I see there are some pensions that are under 100 euro which is what I would like to try and do. I don't want hostels but even for doubles I've usually stayed for under 100 (even in Paris, etc) so I was counting on that for Prague. I really would like to stay very central. Any suggestions?

If I may ask, why is it you go to Prague so often? Thanks for all your info. And to johanna, I still say "go for it".
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Isabel,

When I have a chance, I'll go on some of the sites to see what's offered for 100 Eu & less. On www.travel.cz, go under advanced search & type in Prague 1 (and maybe 2) for location. See what comes up & then search those places for the best price. I surf all the Czech sites from time to time, so I'll let you know if I see anything great.

I've been to Prague 7 times, because I play in a chamber music festival there every summer, have many great friends there, and because my roots are Slovak. I honestly think Prague is one of the greatest cities ever built, and I'd rather keep going back there than be disappointed traveling to other places that get all the hype (London, Paris, Rome, etc), and feel like I am wasting my time and money (which I strongly felt when I spent 2 weeks in Rome last year.) Anyway, when you get to know Prague well, you want to know even more. Which is why after 7 years, I am still in love with it & will keep going back.

Take care & I'll be in touch on here soon!
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

My computer has been down forever..I am still trying to make my flight arrangements from the US. I use my ff miles and like to go nonstop from Miami if possible. I can fly NS to paris and then take the train to prague, warsaw, krakow and vilnius..does that seem feasible?From JFK, I would have to take cz airline? AnneMarie or Isabelle...you mentioned a volare flight out of Milan...I hadnt thought of that...havent seen Milan and have to find out about open jaws..One website mentions trains to poland from frankfort? Dont know if the time spent traveling is worth just flying. Do you have a website for volare flight? Keep in touch. Ben gave me some good train tips.
thanks all.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM

johanna - volare flies from Prague to Milan and Venice but nowhere else.(They fly lots of other places, but not from Prague). Since I also want to go to Venice and my transatlantic flight is in/out of Milan it works great for me. If you go to their web site - volareweb.com you can get schedules and prices. They are much cheaper than the same route via train (only about €45) and much quicker.

ann marie - I've changed my schedule a little and will probably go to Prague the second half of my trip rather than the first so that means I will be in Prague after July 20 so maybe we can get together. I just today posted a thread asking for input about my itinerary and if I get some feedback I'll book my volare flights and then my dates will be mmore or less locked in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -