Chianti self guided tour info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be of us, rental car - striking out from Florence - a.m. - early October.
Will probably stop in Greve, Panzano, Castellina...and 1-2 wineries...any suggestions on the best if had to pick 1-2?
Also any other advice welcome.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi bams,

Have you decided on how many there will be?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

4 of us.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:27 AM

HI
I haven't done that wonderful touring, but I have this info in my Tuscany file:

For the Chianti region, there's a great, detailed map available free on the web.
www.monterinaldi.it/ Click on "The Map of Chianti Classico area", fill in your name & address on the next screen, and you'll get a map in the mail in a few weeks. It's 1:80,000 in scale,
so it's quite detailed. As a bonus, it shows exactly where all of the Chianti wine estates are located.

The following is adapted from a magazine article:
<Highway S222 links Florence and Siena and is known as Via Chiantigiana. In Florence see the 6-hundred-year-old Palazzo Antinori, headquarters of the wine dynasty. The Cantinetta Antinori serves Tuscan fare and wines.

Out of Florence, travel south on S222 and you?ll see the beautiful Tuscan landscape of olive trees, vines, and cypress trees. You will come to Castello Vicchiomaggio, which produces Chianti Classico wines and some proprietary reds. The cellars date to the 9th century.

Many of the wineries are in the hills just off the Via Chiantigiana. Nearby is Castello di Gabbiano, erected in the 12th century and still producing fine Chianti Classicos.

Near Greve, Villa Zano produces Chianti Aziano and is one of several estates owned by
Ruffino.

Isole e Olena is a large property to the west of the highway, and is an 18th century estate next to a 14th century village.

Back on the S222 you?ll come to Fontodi in a valley south of the village of Panzano. It has a proprietary Super Tuscan called Flaccianello della Pieve, pure Sangiovese grapes.
Farther south is the charming village of Fonterutoli, whose chief business is wine-making. Castello di Fonterutoli is a favorite winery.

Upon entering Siena, visit the Enoteca Italica Permanente, housed in a former fortress. >

www.kilkelly.com information on Tuscan vineyards

www.discoveritalia.it Click the English version, then town or area and you will see a link to wineries, including times they are open

a few wineries: Avignonesi Vineyards
[email protected]

Poggio Antico
Montalcino
Tel. +39 (0577) 848044
Email: [email protected]
www.poggioantico.com

Verrazzano Vineyards
Gino Rossi

Volpaia Vineyard

Ciacci Piccolomini Vineyard
Castelnuovo Dell Abate
Montalcino
Tel: 0577.835616
www.ciaccipiccolomini.com

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
ira

A previous poster came up with this interesting town,Barberino Val d'Elsa, near Siena.
http://www.bardotti.com/barberino.htm
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM

We drove the Chiantiagiana Route 222 outlined in the Eyewitness Guide a few years ago. This was a wonderful drive which meanders through the countryside, passing lovely towns and many vineyards...that were closed because it was a Sunday.

However, our second trip was more indepth and we managed two vineyards. The wineries listed listed above are some of the wineries that I contacted that were all recommended by happy customers. My husband went to the Web sites and selected the ones that he thought would be most interesting and that were oh so beautiful. Some were not open the days we would be in the area because of a wine show. So our choices eventually were Verrazzano and Avignonesi.

The Avignonesi tour and snacks was about 2 hours while the Verrazzano tour was four hours with a terrific lunch and lots of fun.

Decide on how much time you are willing to give to the winery and you can plan the rest of your day around it. For some photos of the vineyards, look at my Tuscany photo album here: http://www.slowtrips.com/photo/showg...amp;ppuser=146

For a more detailed description of the vineyard experiences, look at my trip report here: http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/TripReport.asp?tripid=460 . Days 7 and 9 are the vineyards.

Greve, Panzano and Castellina are excellent choices for towns to visit.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM

Elanin - thanks for the Chianti map website - ordered and on the way.