chianti- Highest mountain/best view/best price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ya'll! We have been to Italy several times and driven through into the Chianti area. We did the full circle,(Chianti) on our first trip in 2000. Now, we are going to drive from Florence deep into the wilds of Chianti and stay for five days. We are going to try to saturate the area and ourselves with good food and wine..
DH wants to stay in a B&B in the country, reasonably priced, which is arbitrary I know, atop a very high mountain. We are from the states and are feeling the pinch. $$$ I am enchanted with beautiful vistas and want to set up the old easel and paint a little. I have checked on old Fodors and would like to hear from Fodorites that have been there in the last few years with more current info.
I have reread our old Karen Brown books, but I am sure ya'll will have much updated information.
The third week of the trip will be somewhere north of Lucca, if anyone has any suggestions as well for that area. We are thinking Bagnone. That discussion should be shelved for another day.
Thank the good Lord and Delta for F.F miles with which none of this would be possible...Thanks everyone and Happy Saint Patrick's Day.
Trip is in September- age, very early sixities.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Sounds like a great trip.

While Chianti is wonderful, I find the Val d'Orcia area in southern Tuscany to be more beautiful than Chianti. Have you considered staying in this area instead of Chianti? Here's a great place to stay-

http://fontebertusi.it/

It's not on a mountain, but the views are spectacular.

North of Lucca, I enjoyed my week at Antico Casale, located just outside of the wonderful (and non-touristy) town of Sarzana. I found the location perfect for exploring NW Tuscany and visits to Lerici, Portovenere and the CT villages.

http://www.anticocasalesarzana.com/eng/casale.htm
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM

wherever you stay, do visit Panzano and eat at the butcher shop of Dario Cecchini. reservations for sure.
We interviewed him in October which you can view at http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...=&ref_item=431
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM

You misssed the wilds on Chianti by 30 years. I find it too civilized for me today. I agree with Zoecat, if you want the best of Tuscany then head 70 miles further south.
Delta has a flight into Pisa 4 days a week that may fit you--if you are flexible on dates.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I agree it is "Chantishire", but DH still feels the need to spend time there instead of doing a drive through. At last he has decided to stop with the beer and move over to wine and develop a palate of sorts.
Zoecat and Bob, we have spent several weeks in the southern part of Tuscany and parts of Umbria. Ripa was definitely the most beautiful part of Italy I have ever seen, we did love it.
Remus, we will definitely try the butcher shop. I have read many good reviews about this shop and can't wait. I personally could sit my happy in Radda at the smancy hotel with the fabulous view and not move for a week, well, maybe not a week, but that is out of our price range anyway. We did peek in a few years ago and the view was stunning as well as the hotel.
DH wants to be in the country to hike and ride horses and lap up the natural beauty, while I will be happily mired in oil and paint thinner. Which is really fun for me as well.
The reason he is being so indulged is because I planned the trip last year to Paris and Provence. I could go back there in a heartbeat, but he thinks Italy is in his blood and must return for renewal of his spirit.
I will definitely keep on looking though. Slowtrav and I don't seem to understand each other very well. Someone suggested Orbitz so I guess I'll check it out. Thanks again and I will return with more questions. Brownley