COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Chenonceau day trip from Paris?

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Chenonceau day trip from Paris?

Has anyone been to this chateau? We are thinking of a cityrama bus trip that would include also include a trip to chambord and cheverny. Are these worth seeing? The entire day will take 13 hours.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:51 PM

Took this tour 2 yrs ago. Although you're a bit rushed at each chateau, we thought it was worth the money. It's the easiest, though somewhat pricey, way to get a taste of the Loire.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:37 PM

It is better to make a separate trip to the Loire Valley - but you may know this. You will be very rushed.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM

Chenonceau alone is worth the trip. It is absolutely lovely. Chambord is somewhat overwhelming, but definitely an experience. A previous post was correct in that a separate trip to the Loire would be delightful, but sometimes you just don't have the time.

You will be rushed, but they are lovely and you will enjoy them. Perhaps you can visit again later at your leisure.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM

That sounds like a good trip if you want to do it in a day. I have been to Chenonceau and it's about my favorite chateau. I haven't been to the others, but I know Chambord is considered a good one.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:42 PM

If this is the only way you can go then do it. Nobody has mentioned but Cheverny may be the most interesting of the three. I believe that a family still lives there and the chateau is furnished. Have fun!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM

If you have a chance, it would be more relaxing to travel to the Loire and stay a night or two.

Last year, my husband and I caught the TGV to Tours (via St Pierre des Corps), which took about an hour. The Tourist Bureau is right across the road from the Railway station. We went directly there and booked tours of the various chateaux.
We went on two different tours. One on the Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday. We covered quite a number of chateaux.

These included Chambord, which is the largest chateau in the Loire. It is owned by the State and is huge. The most interesting feature is the double helix staircase designed by Leonardo da Vinci.

Cheverny was the only chateau we visited which is still a family home. It is also the chateau from the comic TinTin.

Chenonceau is worth visiting, as are the beautiful potager gardens of Villandry. I would definitely go back there to see those vegetables again!!

Enjoy your trip, no matter how you decide to go.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 02:58 AM

Another vote for a separate Loire trip if it's possible. Chenonceau is the one chateau I'd go back to again. It is a real fairy tale setting!