Check and double check reservations!

Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Check and double check reservations!

My wife and I are seasoned travellers so we know that we need to double check reservations at all times. Here's a little story about what can go wrong when travelling.
We surprised my son who is a fanatical Everton Football Club supporter with a trip to Liverpool to watch the Everton vs Liverpool Derby. (football fans would appreciate the significance of this)
We live in Cape Town, South Africa.
A few days before his departure I noticed that his return flight was booked for the wrong date which the travel agent accepted was their fault but were unable to change it. They offered a stay in London at their cost with meals and transport to and from Heathrow. We reluctantly accepted this.
He flew Cape Town/Heathrow/Manchester and return.
His flight from Manchester to Heathrow was cancelled and he was placed on a later flight. On arrival at Heathrow there was a baggage delay. I phoned the shuttle service to advise that he was going to be late only to be told that they had different fetch and carry dates for him, I was able to rectify this.
His flight London to Cape Town was overbooked so he was offered some money to take a later flight! The bus service from Manchester to Liverpool which was prebooked had the wrong times listed. This all in one long weekend!! We will collect him at Cape Town airport later today while holding thumbs!
The moral of the story folks is check and double check.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM

what a terrible experience (and a great lesson for the rest of us!). Did your son at least have a good time (aside from all the mishaps)?
Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

He has had the most fantastic time of his life and cannot stop texting us about his excitement and the experience. Cannot wait to chat to him about it. Does sort of balance the books!
Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM

With the very greatest of respect, haven't you got your priorities wrong here?

The team supported by more people on Merseyside than any other makes a pig's ear of its match against the American-owned, Spanish-managed, upstarts across the Park at home , not only losing but not even managing to score (the only goal we got was actually scored by one of THEM).

And you're worried about a few travel arrangements?

You go to all the trouble of arranging this treat for your son, the bunch of tossers currently shaming the shirt do such a spectacular job of ruining the weekend for him, and you think a delayed plane flight matters?

Believe me, he'll forget a few extra hours at Heathrow in a blink. But the humiliation of seeing God's own team fouling up on their own turf against the only opponents who matter will haunt him for life. At least he in Cape Town, unlike most Everton supporters, won't be surrounded by gloating Liverpool supporters all week.
Oct 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Flanneruk I enjoyed your response. I am a Pool supporter and my son Everton. Winning or losing there is no bigger thrill than travelling to their stadiums. This after watching them play on TV for many years. I am 60+ but when I first visited Anfield and walked through the "You'll never walk alone" gates, the hairs at the back of my neck stood up and I had a lump in my throat! We later went to Old Trafford because my wife is a Manu supporter. I also developed a strange feeling when I walk in there but a psychiatrist soon sorted that out for me!