Reload this Page >

Cheap Indian Food...

Search

Cheap Indian Food...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Buzz

Cheap Indian Food...

Years ago I was told that the best Indian restaurants in the world are in London. Over the years I've developed quite a taste for the cuisine. Other than the cheap (and delicious) doner kababs found in little shops around Earl's Court, I've found few "sit down" restaurants that weren't quite pricey.<BR> <BR>(As a trivial aside, I was recently in New York City and found Indian to be among the lowest price meals available.)<BR><BR>In London I generally stay in Bloomsbury and have enjoyed the food at the Chambala on South Hampton Row many times, but it just too expensive to eat there often. Do any of you know of any good Indian restaurants that we might try? It doesn't have to be in Russell Square, I don't mind traveling around the city.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Patrick

I too have found that many of the Indian restaurants in London are quite pricey. I'm sure there are great bargains out further from central London. One place I really do like though is the Red Fort in Soho (I think on Frith). It is a little pricey, but they do a wonderful buffet lunch that is not only reasonable, but delicious. That would be an easy walk for you also.<BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:15 AM
andrew

Buzz - you want to check out Brick Lane for Indian restaurants. This area is known as Banglatown due to the large numbers of people of Bangladeshi origin who live there and many who own the restaurants. Due to the competition you can't go wrong on price there. There are even rickshaw rides now you can take around the area. The nearest tube station is Aldgate East. Brick Lane is also really close to Petticoat Lane street market which is one of the oldest in London.<BR><BR>Enjoy the culinary trip and don't forget Chicken Tikka Masala is the UK's number one dish (that may surprise some but it's true!)<BR><BR>Andrew

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:20 AM
amy

buzz,<BR><BR>we now live in london and were a bit surprised at the price of indian as well, however, i guess if it was dollars instead of pounds we'd think it was normal. anyhow, couple of suggestions: vama, on king's road near to world's end. this would be about a 15 min. walk from earl's court-just straight down to king's road and left a bit. it's very hot-so requires reservations most nights but is really delicious and has some interesting things on the menu. it's the kind of place that looks expensive, but actually costs us the same as our indian place around the corner-expect to pay about 35 pounds for two inc. service, two glasses of wine, naan, etc.<BR>there is also a good place near gloucester road tube called noor jahan. don't know the exact address but it is just off gloucester road on a side street. hope this helps!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:21 AM
c

I have to look it up in my journals but there is a place in Shepherds Market that we went back to several times, excellent food and service..besides Chicken Tikka Masala, try Bindi Masala, veggies,mostly okra,yummmm.c

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:27 AM
BTilke

A year or two ago, the Financial Times ran a story noting that Indian restaurants in the now employ more people in the UK than shipping and mining industries *combined*! They also noted that some of the most popular dishes, like chicken tikka masala, aren't really Indian at all, but anglo/Indian inventions.<BR>BTilke

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:32 AM
andrew

Yes BTilke is right - the story behind Chicken Tikka Masala is that a guy at a curry house in Essex found Chicken Tikka a little bit too dry and wondered if they could create a sauce - the restaurant owners got some cream, tomato and spices and there was the birth of Chicken Tikka Masala<BR><BR>All this talk is making me hungry<BR>Andrew

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Lindsey

If you enjoy Indian food, I would heartily endorse the recommendation of Brick Lane, but it's not for the faint-hearted! The food is fantastic, and very well priced, but it's not a luxury destination - the restaurants in the main are very basic but worth the effort. Definitely more upscale is Veereswamy (at the top of Regent Street near Picadilly Circus)which serves excellent 'modern Indian' cuisine, or the more canteen-like Marsala Zone on Marshall Street, which serves Indian 'fast food' style without sacrificing quality or service. Enjoy!