cheap honeymoon italy 1st time

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:03 PM
mardee studzinski

cheap honeymoon italy 1st time

going to italy in october for our first time for our honeymoon. we are on a low budget but can't pass up the chance to go. we both love art and i am a photographer. we are both simple people and looking for suggestions on museum tickets and sights etc. any help you could give us we would be grateful. thanx

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
Rex

Where to go in Italy is almost as broad as where to go in Europe. You need an afternoon with lots of big coffee-table sized picture books, to make a list of the things that make you salivate.

The best known places are also the hardest to make fit on a tight budget - - but not necessarily the best for a great trip - - for photographing - - and for the best pictures of all - - the ones that exist only in your head.

Congratulations on your new life in marriage together.

And come back here often with lots of more specific questions as your plans evolve.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:25 PM
Leslie

Rex is right...too broad a question. BUT, when you say first time in Italy, I naturally say ROMA, a must-see. When you say love art, I think FIRENZE. When you say honeymoon, I think VENEZIA and/or a romantic B & B in Tuscany. The later doesn't have to be luxurious to be romantic. I also think of the Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast for honeymoons, but not sure October is an ideal month for those.

As to budget, your biggest expense may be airfare, followed by accomodations. There are many budget stretching strategies for these, particularly because October is not peak season. Eating cheap is easy. After this, your major expense will be transport, either train or car. How much time do you have for the whole trip? Where are you flying from? You'll need to check RT to Rome or Milan, but also consider having a travel agent help you with an open jaw ticket, in one city and out the other, to economize on overnight lodging and transport back to your gateway city for the return flight. For airfare, here are some websites to get you started:

www.orbitz.com
www.qixo.com
www.trip.com

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:34 AM
up

up

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Sharon

We vacationed in Rome on a tour in October a few ago and it was wonderful--66 degrees--also traveled to the Amalfi Coast which was spectacular. In Rome we stayed at the Villa Pamphilli which was outside city center Rome by a Park--a shuttle ran daily taking you into the city. Try searching for information online (Google is good)-Fodors, of course, Air Italia travel packages, Italy-tourism etc. We walked thru the Borghesi Park in Rome, visited the Galleria and picked up fruit for lunch at a cart and then exited at the Spanish Steps. So, this is a leisurely day and you can spend a lot of time in Rome just walking around seeing sights--if you go don't miss Piazza Navona at night. We found inexpensive restaurants by reading the "Let's Go" Rome book. We ate at a great restaurant in an alley--that's not uncommon. Also, the Campo Fiori area in Rome has some very good restaurants with lower prices. Good luck.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:05 AM
elaine

Hi
congratulations on the wedding.
Can you say what you want to spend on hotels and such, and how much time you will have? Also, do you want to travel around a bit, or visit one or maybe two places? A big city and some countryside? Two cities? And would you drive or take a train between the two?
The art part is easy--the whole country is chock-full of the stuff!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Sharon

Forgot that the site is Italiatour (Air Italia) for independent or tour packages at all rates.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Marcie

Even though it's your honeymoon, some of the best prices actually are the package deals that include air, hotel, transportation from city to city and tours. There will be free time for you to venture out to pursue your own interest in art, museums. For a firstimer in Europe, this actually isn't a bad way to go.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:46 AM

hopefully it's your 1st time honeymoon and only.

or at least if you have a second honeymoon, whether with your first spouse or not, it won't be a repeat cheap honeymoon!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Janda

Italy is incredible. Venice is a must for anyone visiting there. Real early in the morning get up and go to the little back canals.You won't be disappointed. It is pure magic.
Down south in the Sorrento area is wonderful also.
Hope you have a wonderful time. Get the Rick Steve's Italy book. He is right on in his recommendations.
Janda

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Carolyn

Have you looked into Untours.com? They
have VERY reasonable packages that include apartments in Venice w/airfare.
I have travelled all over Italy, and
for a honeymoon. . .Venice, Venice,
Venice!! It's art, romance, photography, beauty all in one! We're
going back next year and staying a month. Have a happy honeymoon, wherever it is!!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Ted

I don't think I have ever seen a Rick Steves' book for Italy, but in the one I do own, he is as opinionated about what he dislikes as the places he does like. I have his Germany, Austria, Switzerland. He is pretty negative on Lake Titisee, for example.

Does he list any similar places in Italy that he considers unappealing or very over-rated?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:02 PM
kiki

Hi Mardee,

You must see Venice b/c it is truly one of THE MOST ROMANTIC places ever! We just got back and stayed at Locanda Barbarigo. It was just wonderful and about 130 Euro for a nice room (we stayed in the largest room which was 140 Euro). Ask for a room with a view, if the Esmerelda room is available, and you will be thanking me for years to come! Most of the hotels are more in Venice, so this is really a steal. They've got a website at www.locandabarbarigo.com and Christina the hostess is so sweet.

Every turn in Venice is so beautiful, and the cooler evenings in October should be so nice. Be sure to visit the island of Murano - it is quiet and pretty.

If you can get to Positano, that is honeymoon heaven. Lots of honeymooners go there, and Villa Rosa was 130 Euro with a nice balcony overlooking everything. You can take the train and a bus there, if you are on a budget. Have a great time!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Carin

Hi, Mardee
I'm not as experienced as the other posters on this sight, having only been there once, but all the advice I received here was excellent. Here a just a few things we did/used and had a $ reasonable, romantic anniversary trip. Good photo opps, too

Try tiss.com for airfare.
Fly into Florence and stay a day or two. (You can get your museum reservations at weekendafirenze.com)Rent a car (autoeruope.com is good) and drive out of Florence. Check out slowtrav.com or labellatoscana.com and rent an apartment for a week in the Colle Val D'Elsa area, (cheaper than a hotel) driving to the hilltowns for great food, interesting sightseeing, and beautiful scenery. Be sure to climb to the TOP of the unfinished part of Siena's duomo. Do not miss the (abbey) Abbazia Monte Oliveto Maggiore (sp). There are some good trip reports on slowtrav on how to travel inexpensively - keep a small cooler in your car and picnic a lot. Have a wonderful trip - I'm SO jealous!!!