Reload this Page >

Cheap Flights from London to Lax

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2000, 10:02 AM
chloe

I am just looking for a cheap flight from London to Lax for late this month or next month any suggestions. <BR> <BR>thanks chloe

Old May 4th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Ben Haines

Please, where is Lax ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old May 4th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Joe

I believe Chloe is referring to Los Angeles. (correct me if I am wrong) LAX is the airline abreviation for Los Angeles International Airport.

Old May 4th, 2000, 11:57 AM
howard

Ben, LAX is the Los Angeles Airport.

Old May 4th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Ben Haines

Thanks for explaining. <BR> <BR>Oh dear oh dear, that the City of the Angels should descend to "Lax" <BR> <BR>Anyway,the answer is to look in http://www.cheapflights.co.uk, under Los Angeles (not under Lax) <BR> <BR>I shall welcome any reply, expressed in civilsed English, or Spanish. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London, Londres, not LHR <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Anastasia Watkinson

Hi Chloe... <BR> <BR>I book quite a few flights to the states, being a Yank living over here. I always check www.lastminute.com first. They seem to have the best prices if you are flexible. If not, check Flightbookers... good prices any time. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps... <BR> <BR>Anastasia <BR>http://www.greatbritaintravelguide.com <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:22 PM
kam

Ben, I believe that we in California typically refer to the airport of Los Angeles as LAX. That's not to say that we would refer to the City of Angels as LAX, rather we would call it L.A. Trying to remember what the abbreviation for Heathrow is--HRW? In San Francisco, we refer to the airport as SFO but please don't call our city that! Cheers!

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:52 PM
Candace

You might want to try www.priceline.com <BR>I did well for my tickets for this summer. I bid $325 for tickets from Chicago to London they added taxes and fees of $75. We have afternoon flights with a hour and half layover in Toronto. Just make sure you read the details on bidding so you understand the restrictions because you can't change your tickets. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old May 5th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Rex

I think that many, many people do refer to the airport as ELL-LAY-EX, Ben, though no one would ever say "lax". <BR> <BR>They also say JFK (Jay-Eff-Kay) and some Parisians say Say-Day-Zhay (though more say Wah-See (Roissy). And LHR (not HRW) seems perfectly logical and memorable to me for London HeathRow. <BR> <BR>The world of weird connections between airport call letters and their (sometimes long-ago) names can be an interesting subject in its own right. <BR> <BR>One of my favorites is MSY (New Orleans) because locals so badly murdered the pronunciation of Moissant Field (sounded something like Mwoy-Sey), which was the honorific name of the airport, once upona a time. Louisville is SDF (Standiford Field). Does anybody know the explanation for YYZ (Toronto)?

Old May 5th, 2000, 07:33 PM
ron

Re, Rex's question about Toronto (YYZ). I don't know the answer, but all Canadian airports start with the letter Y (YUL for Montreal, YOW for Ottawa, YQR for Regina, etc.), so they seem totally arbitrary to me. Certainly, the original name for the Toronto Airport, Malton, does not lend relate to YYZ. <BR> <BR>So what was the airport code before the New York airport's name was changed from Idlewild to Kennedy?

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:37 PM
David

New York was IDL or IDW(if i recall). Also, since Los Angeles has 3 major airports that most regional airlines fly into, those of us who live in the Western U.S. need to distinguish the International airport from Burbank and John Wayne and the easiest way seems to be by designating it L...A...X. Maybe its a Hollywood thing???? <BR>

Old May 6th, 2000, 06:09 AM
elvira

My two favorite airport codes are Ottawa (YOW) and Ourzazate, Morocco (OZZ). Well, of course, there's always Fukuoka.....

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:28 AM
carolyn

The Louisville airport is no longer called Standiford Field. We've gone upscale, and it is now Louisville International; however, the only way you could travel internationally without connections would be disguised as a UPS package. (It's a UPS hub.)