Cheap Fall Airfares

May 5th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Cheap Fall Airfares

Hi
I need help in looking for a low cost flight. The difference between Oct and Nov is drastic. Will they release lower fares later? We have 500 from Bos to FCO in early Nov. Has anyone got late Oct for that price? What is the lowest you've paid for Fall travel ti Italy? Thank you in advance for your help
May 5th, 2005, 07:09 AM
rex

Two issues: are you inflexinble on dates? or do you need a considerable number of seats? (i.e., >2 or especially > 3-4)

If neither of these is a major obstacle, then I think you can and should hold out until late June, and maybe even mid-August, if you can be patient. Fares (SOME seats) after Oct 15 will frequently come very close to the low fares of November.

But the airlines have gotten very good with computers and forecasting purchasing patterns. Naturally, they have better accuracy as the dates approach, and they release seats at promotional fares as they see dates with low occupancy.

I'd say hang in there, if you are (currently) seeing more than $250 difference between late October and early November.

Best wishes,

Rex
May 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I agree with hanging in there for a while, but it is not surprising to find a large difference between any October date and any November date, and while the difference may shrink, it probably won't disappear.
May 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM

If you follow the "wait and hope they get cheaper" strategy you have to also hope that everyone else does the exact same thing...waits.

Computers continually monitor seat sales on every flight and they are tied to a break-even load factor. Rex, is correct...if a flight isn't selling as well as expected or forecast, the computer will re-price a certain percentage of the seats in an attempt to generate demand.

This question always comes down to the same thing: since you didn't book months ago are you willing to wait OR simply bite the bullet, buy the ticket, and spend energy on other aspects of the trip.

Good luck and have a great trip regardless of how much you pay.
May 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM
rex

<<it is not surprising to find a large difference between any October date and any November date, and while the difference may shrink, it probably won't disappear.>>

I think that lower fares in late October will be possible to find - - with plenty of careful diligence - - and yet also be true that the difference may not disappear. (Even) Lower fares for AFTER November 1 might appear, at or near the same time that lower fares in late October pop up.
May 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Used arbitrary October dates (outbound 12th, return 27th Oct); your dates may differ.

Boston-Dublin, Aer Lingus, $447 round trip, then Dublin-Rome (Ciampino, not FCO - no big deal) on Ryanair, 103€ (say US$140) round trip, so total ca. US$590, v. $800 or so same dates on other carriers.

Using a gateway airport that's also served by some low cost carriers (LCCs) - such as Dublin or Gatwick, seldom Heathrow or CDG - is one way around the high prices to Italy or other southern/eastern Europe destinations. There aren't enough daily seats over the water to FCO or other Italian destinations to make the airlines compete as heavily as on shorter/more competitive routes.