Cheap/Expensive Countries

May 18th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Sara

Cheap/Expensive Countries

Hi there,
I am just wondering which countries out of the following (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Austria, England, Ireland & the Netherlands) are the more expensive ones and which are known as cheaper. I realize they are all expensive compared to the Canadian Dollar, but where can I find deals? Any help would be appreciated.

May 18th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Philip

I've been to all you mention except Italy and Ireland. IMO, Switzerland was the most expensive.

I think you can find deals in any of these countries if you do your research. Plus it also depends on what time of year you are going. January in any of these countries will probably be cheaper than July.

Also in many of these countries, if you get out of the major cities and into the countryside, you are likely to find prices much cheaper.

You may want to hook up with a tour group. They usually can put a package together quite cheaply because they are buying in bulk.

My advice is just pick one or two countries that you think you will like and begin the research. Try reading some of the cheaper travel guides like "Rick Steves", "Lonely Planet" etc.

May 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
sandra

I have been to most of those countries and my husband has been to all of them and hands down we say London is the most expensive followed by Switzerland.

May 18th, 2002, 09:53 PM
elvira

Northern Ireland is very inexpensive; France in the countryside is inexpensive (Paris is not cheap, but it is less expensive than London or Italian cities); Italy is about medium-priced in the countryside (read: less touristy); Netherlands is about the same as the U.S., large cities to large cities, small cities to small cities; London is very expensive; the English countryside about medium-priced to inexpensive. Haven't been to Germany, Austria or Switzerland in years, so I don't know current information.

Bottom line: northern Ireland is the least expensive all around; Paris is cheaper than Italian or English cities of comparable size; countryside, if you stay away from the tourist meccas, is always less expensive than cities. In my experience, you can make any country affordable if you plan well and take advantage of "deals", like museum and travel passes. Don't not go to London because it's expensive; there are ways to make it affordable. Even if northern Ireland is inexpensive, don't go if it's not really where you want to travel.

New ads tonight on TV about hotels.com Anybody tried it?.

May 19th, 2002, 12:04 AM
David

We live in The Netherlands, are from the UK, have parents in Ireland, have visited France and Italy in the past few months and here is what we find:

Ireland is without doubt the most expensive particularly for public transport and acomodation. Restuarants are overpriced. Italy is fantastic with cheap food, good hotels, great wine, but getting around and getting to and from Italy is expensive. We stayed in Turin which is fantastic as fewer tourists than Rome and probably nicer.

The UK outside of London is great value, particularly in rural areas that had a tough time last year with foot and mouth so lots of bargains. Top tip is to travel by bus from city to city much cheaper than the train.

Then the best of the lot: The Netherlands, travelling is a pleasure with a great train system and every station has a bicycle hire shop so you can explore all the little towns. food is dirt cheap as is wine and if you are outside amsterdam there are many good hotels for a reasonable price. Amsterdam is worth a visit just to see the red light district, but holland has a lot more to offer.