Cheap Eats in Paris, Madrid, Venice, and Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a college student studying abroad in England, and I am spending my spring break traveling around France, Italy, Spain, and Greece.

I am trying to plan a budget right now to see how much I should allow myself to spend a day on food. I am open to eat at street vendors, grocery shop, and any other suggestions. Also I would like to be able to enjoy a drink or two in each location, could you help me by letting me know the average wine price?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM

For any city, don't eat anywhere near the big tourist attractions....the prices will be higher.

In Paris, have that drink at the counter rather than at a table as counter service will also cost less. Look for some of the T/Rs from kerouac on local Paris neighborhoods...he eats well without spending a lot. He lives in Paris, so check out his posts.

It's been too long for me to help with Venice.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Sup

Venice is sooo expensive to eat esp anywhere near st mark's square so avoid eating there if u want to save some money- Alfredo's Pasta had awesome service and the best pasta I've ever tasted-and it is very affordable! Its only a 5 min walk from the square too, google them up

Paris-i found it to be worth the extra few euro to have my coffee outside... i enjoyed sitting alongside the other locals;soaking up the sun and culture of Paris. Outisde you're closer to the "moveable feast" i guess.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM

In Venice there is a nice restaurant with self service, not far from the train station, it's called Brek, at Rio Terrà Lista di Spagna, Venice +39 041 244 0158
It's mostly buffet style, but you order the meat dishes and they are made right then, and you pay the cashier. Not dirt cheap (hey, it's Venice...) but sure to save you serious bucks. Brek is also in other cities in Italy.

In Paris, stay away from areas like the Champs Elysées, the Quartier Latin (St. Germain), the Marais, Avenue Montaigne and thereabouts. It's worth taking a Métro or bus to a more reasonable area, for example those around the big train stations, there are always modest eateries where workers on a budget eat before commuting home, and regular travelers who need a meal, not "tourists".

Look for the posted menu with the words "Prix Fixe" and "Assiette du Jour" ("plate of the day").

Buy picnic stuff in shops like Comestibles, corner stores, bakeries (baguettes of course, the long loaf of French bread, and quiches can be good value!) - say Bonjour when you enter or you won't get anything... and say Au Revoir when you leave.

Also in Paris you can find North African eateries that are cheap, if Moroccan and such dishes suit you. A couscous with some lamb, in a open-fronted walk-in place with formica tables (or no tables) for example, can fill you up nicely for not much money.

Crepes in the streets are ok but they don't fill you up and by the time you are full you've spent more than it's worth it. Panini from street stalls can do it.

In Spain, rather than wait til 10PM when kitchens get going in sit-down restaurants, eat tapas earlier in the evening. I've found rotisserie half-chickens at food stores sometimes, with a plate of arroz (rice) or something, that can fill you up.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Venice, Billa could be your best friend.

Supermarket with locations on Strada Nova and the Zattere.

Lots of takeaway sandwiches, salads, pizza, bread, cheese, and drinks.

Inexpensive booze and food at the cicchetti bars in the Rialto Market.

Most famous: Do Mori, Al Merca

Thin
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I did a blogpost on less expensive eats in the Marais which might be helpful for Paris -

http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.com/...l?q=paris+food
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:00 AM

Cheap eats? Dire I suggest a Big Mac or a Whopper?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 09:45 AM

How much you allow yourself does depend to some extent on how much you eat. Do you want snacks and 3 full meals a day plus other drinks? You'll hvae to spend more than if you only eat 2 meals a day and don't snack much.

If you are frugal, you could get by on 40 euro a day, I'd say. In reality, less of course, but you have to not eat much and not eat in restaurants, etc. I wouldnt' plan on less than 25-30 euro per day.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM

There is a very good site for food in Athens, it's called Culinary Backstreets and this is the link: http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/category/athens/

I am an Athenian so no worries, trust me it's a really good site. Athens has some great food to offer, there are tavernas for fish, for meat and many tavernas specialize in a particular island's cuisine and Cretan is the most famous. There is a nice taverna I recommend you, it's called "Orea Naxos" (Ωραία Νάξος) in Psyrri neighborhood it's not touristy very original and it serves Naxiot cuisine (the best potatoes in Greece) so give it a try.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM

"...Big Mac or a Whopper?..."

Sorry, we're talking about FOOD here, stuff you can eat...
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 11:58 PM

Burgers are better that the dried sandwiches purchased from a supermarket. Or a hot dog purchased from a street vendor.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 12:08 AM

In Greece you can go to bakeries and buy freshly prepared sandwiches, made with bread hot out of the oven. Much tastier than a Big Mac, and just as cheap, are gyros pita: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ta6PgO0Vx3...0/P1000319.JPG
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM

I should have explained: you get gyros pita from street vendors, not bakeries.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 05:09 AM

In Madrid we ate at a really great, small spot on the top of an apartment building with a terrace that puts you on the edge of the building; Casa de Granada. The food was good. We had tapas; prawns, patatas bravas, and beer. It's not that easy to figure out how to get to the top, we followed another group of people in to the building and got on the elevator with them. Definitely try it out. Here's a link to it on yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-de-granada-madrid
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 03:11 AM

Some tips in Madrid:

Museo del Jamón on Calle Mayor # 7. Cured ham and cheese.
http://www.museodeljamon.com/html/es...imientos5.html

La Campana on Calle Botoneras next to the Plaza Mayor. Calamari sandwich.
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...sV1G0C4A/l.jpg

100 Montaditos on Calle Mayor 22. Snacks.
http://emancipia.es/wp-content/uploa...ntaditos-1.jpg

El Tigre on Calle Infantas # 28. Generous tapas for free with your drinks.
http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...lsbLKJCQ/l.jpg

Malaspina on Calle Cádiz, near the Puerta del Sol.
http://www.tabernamalaspina.com/index.php
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 04:52 AM

I can give some tips only on Madrid. First of all, eating ona budget is nicely served in local taco and tapas bars. Tapas, as you should know, is a real highlight od Spanish national cuisine. You may find more on http://www.madrid.net/madrid-guide/madrid-budget.html

As for the latest wine prices, a bottle of good quality table wine costs about 6-7 euros.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 05:28 AM

In Paris, we found that nice fresh, sandwiches could be had at local boulangerie for a few euros. Daily markets, located throughout the city, offer reasonably priced food that could be dinner. Crepes also make a nice lunch. Breakfast, pick up a piece of fruit and a yogurt at local supermarket. Do not buy sodas like Coke, they are very pricey!
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never eaten a dried out sandwich or salad purchased at Billa in Venice.

Nor have I ever purchased anything but fresh bread and very delicious Montasio cheese at Billa.

I doubt the above poster who wrote that has ever been to Billa or Venice.

Some of us live in large metropolitan cities and are savvy enough to figure out food choices when on holiday.

I am certainly not some bumpkin from the hinterlands who would eat a dried out sandwich.

Some of you are clueless.

Thin
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 04:46 AM

If you are looking for a cheap snack to cool you down, try White Frozen Yoghurt Cafe.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM

One time my travel companion was sick and I didn't want to go out for long so I ran across the street (we were in Barcelona) to Burger King. Two mini whoppers were 7 euros - I didn't even have enough money with me for fries. I don't think that is much of a bargain - and it didn't taste very good either. Never again.

You can get a tramezzino sandwich standing at a bar in Venice PLUS a glass of wine for 3.50 euros or even less. Tramezzini are half sandwiches with assorted fillings (tuna, ham, cheese and many more.)

And indeed the bread at Billa is very good - I love their small wheat loaf.

I'm not sure the OP is coming back though and that is one heck of a long spring break, I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -