Cheap car rental in UK-Help needed with options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've just checked into 2 car rental companies mentioned by obxgirl that seem very inexpensive ~380pound for 13 days. These are 1car1 and easyCar. The former I can book and pay in Australian dollars so it would appear to be a good option. I am considering a Vauxhall Vectra (there will be 4 of us for 9 days and 5 of us for a further 3 days when our 3rd teenage daughter joins us). We will all be carrying a small backpack and our 3 daughters are not large but definitely adult rather than child size.
So my questions are:
will we fit (at home it's a squish in an Astra but doable and here a Vectra is significantly bigger than an Astra)?
are these car companies a reasonable option?
why is a manual (ok for us as we also drive on the left hand side of the road)Vectra quite a bit cheaper than an 'Astra Estate'and other smaller cars?
If we go via AutoEurope, 2 of the options are a Saab 9.3 or Renault Laguna 1.8L. In fact a number of cars that I have no idea about their size are mentioned, making the comparison and selection difficult.There also seems to be some differences of opinion as to whether a 5 seater is rated as 4 person or 4 adult & 1 child or 5 person. I certainly don't wish to move to hiring a people mover for just 3 days of travel and less than 300 miles, they are such a pain to park and so expensive to rent. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I don't feel I can help you much, but here in the UK a Vectra is definitely a bit bigger than an Astra. With 5 'adult-sized' persons (plus bags)I wouldn't go for the Astra saloon. The Astra Estate will have slightly more room, especially behind the rear seats, so if you have large suitcases that might be a better bet. Why a manual is more expensive - I have no idea!

Easycar tended to focus on the Mercedes A class (too small for 5 adults) but I believe have expanded their range now.

A Renault Laguna would be around the same size as the Vectra.

I am not familiar with the Saab, but I have never seen a small Saab - so I would expect it to be at least the same sort of size if not bigger.

With the 3 seats in the back - some vehicles have separate seats each with their own seatbelt, and some cars have a 60/40 split seat, and the centre seat usually has just a lapstrap and is not very comfortable for long journeys. Although if you are doing 300 miles over 3 days it should be acceptable!

Another very reasonable car rental company you could check out is Practical.

www.practical.co.uk

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
chas

Try Nova car rental at the following:

http://www.rentacar-worldwide.com/?PPC=ngnovacampaign

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that, will give those 2 a go, but I'd better locate a decent map of London if I want to avoid signing up for collection on the East of London when I need to depart West(and staying Earls Court area.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Just in case anyone needs to look for bargain car hire, Nova are a decent option. Seems to be cheaper than all of the individual well known brands. Picked up a rental car at Carcassonne Airport having booked online at www.novacarhire.com . Excellent rates. Offers car hire worldwide as well.