Cheap Airfare...Where???

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Tim

Cheap Airfare...Where???

Any recommendations on finding a cheap airfare from Chicago to Dublin, Shannon to Chicago? Flying in July...anyone try a last <BR>minute purchase?

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 02:33 AM
Maira

I just recently used Priceline.com and was very impressed with the expeditiousness and the great deal they found for me. <BR> <BR>Also, Chicago is a big hub for AA, and frequently they have good fares. Check out their site. If you could get to Boston, very frequently they offer incredible prices for direct flights to Ireland. <BR> <BR>Check also this site http://www.go-today.com/gt_home.asp <BR> <BR>Some people have tried Bestfares.com. I became a member, and tried to use their services in five different ocassions; worst travel agents on the phone and the fares were always the price I could have gotten calling the airline myself. DO NOT recommend them.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 03:37 AM
steve

Just wanted to say I had exactly the opposite experience with bestfares. I am leaving next month to London with a $405 fare to london, I also got a $162 fare phoenix to Hartford fo an employee last January. If nothing else, yoiu can get an idea of fares that might be out there by looking at the NEWS DESK section of their webpage - bestfares.com - that is a open to the public section.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:13 AM
Cathy

Tim, <BR>Try contacting Aer Lingus directly, (Irish airline). They are in direct competition with Delta flying from the States to Ireland in comparsion to last year where they operated a flight sharing agreement and as result they are having a sort of price war. Have a good trip

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Anne

I want to second the Priceline advice. I recently bought tickets from Newark to Glasgow for $300/each plus about $98 in tax. This is also for July and the cheapest tickets I could find were over $800.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Tom

Tim - take a look a www.eurotrip.com, click on discussion groups and then cheap flight forum. Read two weeks worth of posts and you will get a lot of valuable information. Check out Chicago - London route it may well be much cheaper because of increased competition, you could then add a few days in London to your itinerary and then catch a cheap flight to Ireland on British Midland, Easy Jet, Ryanair or Virgin Express. Also I think ATA started scheduled service to Ireland last year, couldn't find it on their web site ata.com but you may want to give them a call. The time to book a good fare for July is now I don't think I would wait for something last minute. I have had good success with www.tiss.com. Just booked flight from Chicago - Amsterdam in May for $235.+tax R/T. <BR>Regards - Tom

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Tom

Tim - List of airlines servicing Ireland: www.clubi.ie/holiday/trans/airlines.htm

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 01:36 PM
JoAnn

Steve, from where are you flying to London?. $405 doesn't sound that great of a deal for march. I, too tried to used Bestfares.com. for a caribbean vacation. I had better luck with the airlines (and they don't charge membership fee).

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:32 PM
Ellen

You might also comparison shop with a tour operator. You can sometimes get a whole package for less than the cost of airfare alone.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:27 PM
steve

my $405 fare to london was from Phoenix - $150-200 less than the best fares I could find on the airline websites. Note - that includes about $80 in taxes. Often the fares advertised in travel sections of the paper do not include taxes. I am also flying Ryanair from London (Gatwick) to Dublin. On their internet site, I got a 4 pound round trip fare ! (unfortunately, you can't avoid about 40 pounds in taxes). Check all days as the day before or after was either 27 or 37 pounds!

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 09:26 PM
Alice

I called the airlines direct, after doing all my research and saved over $30.00 on a delta flight to Budapest hungary. And I did my researh for over 9 months with every site I could find. you name It I checked it out. Only $327.00. Round trip with taxes.