Reload this Page >

Cheap accomodations in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Toni

Hi, My husband and I are going to Scotland in September (maybe with another couple) and we are interested in staying at little out-of-the places, such as a small house for rent, some B&B's or some smaller inns. I am having trouble finding a web-site with this type of information. Does anyone have any good experiences to share or suggestions for where to look? Thanks

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:48 PM
KT

The Scottish Tourist Board website, www.visitscotland.com, has a good accomodations search engine. You can specify lots of things, such as nonsmoking and rural location, as well as searching by town or area. It has self-catering properties (houses and flats for weekly rental) as well as B&Bs and hotels. It only includes places inspected by the tourist board -- there are also many nice places that choose not to be inspected (because it costs money and for other reasons). <BR> <BR>A couple of other websites I have bookmarked are http://www.aboutscotland.com/index.html <BR>and www.scotland2000.com/accom, both of which are a bit more high-end than the tourist board's site, which includes a broad range. <BR> <BR>If you narrow it down to an area such as the Highlands or Aberdeen and Grampian, you can ask the are tourist board to send you a brochure of accomodations (addresses are on the STB website). Those brochures usually have more pictures than the STB site.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:54 PM
steve

Our family stayed at a self catering cottage for a week in 1999. It was an excellent way to go. I found it on the net, I think thru the scottish tourist board site. It was less than $700 for a wonderful cottage that easily slept 4. And it was one of the best in Scotland - Leny Lodge in Callendar. One of the sites I found on the web had dozens of places, many at only 200 pounds per week.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:40 AM
frank

try <BR>http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/scotland.htm <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:36 AM
frank

KT is right - the local tourist boards have better info than the STB and are usually good at sending it.September is not a busy time.There should be plenty available.Pay around $300 for a week for a place to sleep 4.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:20 AM
frank

Also consider staying in a caravan.(trailer)Many are on farms with spectacular views, very cheap, private, great fun.Again, see local listings. <BR>Any particular area or interests?