Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chateaux or Castles to stay at in the Loire Valley

Apr 13th, 2002, 08:31 AM
mark

We will be travelling through the Loire Valley and have promised our 12 year old that we would stay in an authentic castle or chateaux. He is studying the Middle Ages right now so I think he would enjoy it but I dont want to select a place where the atmosphere is too stuffy.
And, activities would be a plus (e.g., swimming pool). any suggestions?

Apr 13th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Digital Traveler

Check out this website!

http://www.bienvenue-au-chateau.com/

Apr 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Ron

Also www.chateaux-france.com

Apr 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Rene

Mark,
We just got back from France for spring break and we stayed at Chateau du Pray outside of Amboise. Our boys are ages 17 and 9 years old and they were so impressed that we stayed at a chateau that was 750 years old and steeped in history (Lafayette had something to do with this castle). We had a gorgeous room and the boys had an adjoining room. They have a swimming pool but it was still a tad cold when we went so I think it was not opened then. The staff is very helpful because my husband wanted to take a lot of pictures of the chateau and their gardens and they accomodated him. Have fun in the Loire. I think Amboise is a good jumping off place to visit the other chateaus. Do not by pass Leonardo da Vinci's house Clos Luce. If you are history buffs like our family is, this place is one you should not miss. Rene

Apr 13th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Fred

Three very popular chateaux to stay in in the Loire are Ch‰teau de Chaumontel, Chateau de Colliers and Chateau de Rochecotte. For Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Apr 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Julie

We stayed at Chateau de Chissay near Montrichard and pretty close to the very middle of the Loire Valley. It's very "castley" with towers, winding staircases, its own little chapel. It has a nice dining room with good food and a pool. They light it at night and it looks magical. It makes a nice base to explore the Loire, has all the comforts and was quite reasonable price-wise as I recall.

Apr 14th, 2002, 11:45 PM
wendy

Thank you Julie! I second that motion...we adore Chateau de Chissay!
Wendy

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Andy

Chateau de Rochecotte is FABULOUS!!!!
and so is their restaurant-Coat and TIe required....

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Dayle

Hi Mark! I also stayed at Chateau de Chissay & loved it. Excellent restaurant, but it is very formal. Great location for sight seeing. Town of Amboise is charming & very interesting. The Chateau Amboise & Clos du Luce are facinating. As said above, don 't miss!