Reload this Page >

Chateaux in Loire Valley

Search

Chateaux in Loire Valley

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Amy

Chateaux in Loire Valley

I am about to go on a trip to France and plan to spend 2 nights in the Loire Valley (we were hoping for someplace near Blois but are certainly open for other suggestions). <BR> <BR>We would like to stay in a chateau rather than a traditional hotel. Can anyone recommend a romantic chateau, or provide any advice for this excursion? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>amy

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 07:57 PM
maureen

We stayed at the Chateau D'Artigny outside of Tours last May and loved it. It is the former Coty estate.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 08:29 PM
John

You might want to check out Chateau de Pray in Amboise. It is a 13th Century chateau. I only had drinks on the terrace and ate dinner there, but it looked very nice. (We stayed at Le Manoir Les Minimes in Amboise, a restored 18th C manor house that we really enjoyed. And, it is a quick walk into the city of Amboise, whereas Chateau de Pray would be a 3 minute drive or so. See www.karenbrown.com listing for this property). <BR> <BR>Happy trails.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 10:38 PM
John

I heartily recommend Chateau de Pray--stayed there with my wife and children for two nights in July of '98. Beautiful old building ( you can find their web site by search for Chateau de Pray), nice pool. we had a fantastic leisurely scrumptious meal there as well--went on for hours. Amboise is a lovely and picturesque town with its own great historic chateau to tour. Also this spot is great for day trips to neighboring famous chateaus ( what's plural for chateau?) like Chambord, Chenonceau, Azay le Rideau.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Lori

We stayed at the Domaine de Hauts de Loire in Onzain--not far from Blois. We were able to drive from there to Blois for the nightly son et lumiere show at the castle. The hotel is an old hunting lodge, more than a castle, but it is divine. Great restaurant, peaceful park with lakes and swans--very nice.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Andrea

we stayed at Chateau De Rothcoct in Loire vally-all rooms were different-food was fabulous-on a vineyard w/it;s own chapel--very romantic part of Relais and Chateau group of hotel. i know i am misspelling the hotel-call relais 800 no. the hotel can even arrange hot air ballooning w/champagne--you will love it. there are also wonderful outdoor markets in the town nearby.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Jody

I too would also recommend domaine des Hauts de Loire. It is not whar we would consider a hunting lodge!!! Some hunting!!Their website is http://www.domainehautsloire.com/ <BR>we stayed there for a week in the fall and everything was superior, room, food, wine, and staff and service. it is centrally located in the center of the Loire and it was very esy to see all the chateaux , wineries, towns, just anything we wanted to do. in fact we are planning on returning to the Loire just for the pleasure of staying ther again.