Diesel Fuel Availability in Europe?

Apr 14th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Alice

Diesel Fuel Availability in Europe?

We are leasing a vehicle for a 5 week trip in France, Germany, and Belgium. I have read that diesel fuel is much cheaper that regular. Do "gas stations" have diesel readily available? In other words, when we are traveling in the country side of France, are we going to have any difficulties finding a place to fill up?

Thanks for your help! Alice

Apr 14th, 2001, 08:34 PM
ralf

you will get "Diesel" or something like that at every fuel station in Europe; and indeed, it's cheaper than "Benzin" or "Super", depending on the taxes of the country.

Apr 14th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Art

I agree. Most taxis at least in western Europe are diesel and most automakers product diesel automobiles. I'm wondering about Poland and Romania however. Anyone know?
Regards
Art

Apr 15th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Patrick

I agree, you can get diesel fuel virtually anywhere in Europe as there are a lot more diesel cars than in the US. Incidentally, not only is the fuel cheaper than regular gas, but most diesel cars get a lot better mileage, so you get a double savings. When we leased a new Peugeot 306 from AutoFrance for two months, we had a choice of the regular or the turbo diesel. They claimed that the gas car got about 32 miles to the gallon and the turbo diesel got 52 miles to the gallon. We found that it was actually closer to 60. Seemed like we never filled up driving all over Europe. Not like my 15 miles to the gallon at home.

Apr 15th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Alec

Diesel is called gazole in France and currently costs around 5.28 FF per litre (around $2.70 per US gallon) and unleaded (essence san plomb) 6.83 FF per litre (around $3.50 per US gallon). Gazole is available at every filling station in France (nearly 50% of cars are diesel), Germany (saving 20% over unleaded) and Belgium (25% over unleaded). In France, fill up at hypermarket (hypermarche), where fuels are often 10-15% cheaper. They all take credit cards.

Apr 15th, 2001, 11:36 AM
xxx

I am sorry- due to our underdevelloped situation we really don't know what Diesel (????????) is.....

Apr 15th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Rex

Diesel is a mixture of gasoline and motor oil. The construction of an engine that runs on gasoline is different from one that one that runs on diesel fuel.

There probably is diesel fuel in your country, no matter how developed, or undeveloped it is, but it might not ever be used in cars. It is used in the majority of big trucks and tractors (at least in the US).

Apr 15th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Alice

I just can't thank you enough for all of your responses. It has certainly made decision making a whole lot easier. GO DIESEL! I knew there was a difference in the price of fuel but never dreamed about the differnce in MPG. I so much appreciate you including that information. Fodors' folks rule!! Merci/Danke, Alice

Apr 16th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Victor

Alice
As the other posts state it is available at every station. One word of advice. In France at least, the stations tend to have a separate diesel pump that is intended for trucks. The "normal" diesel hose is usually on the same pump islands as the gasoline pumps. If you try to use the one that is set up for trucks the nozzle will not fit into your car's neck - it is too big. Be sure to just pull up to the regular pumps and find the diesel hose there. I made this mistake one time and took me a few minutes to figure out why the nozzle wouldn't fit into the neck. I am sure the attendents were inside laughing their butts off at the dumb ass tourist trying to fit the truck nozzle into his car!

Apr 16th, 2001, 05:14 AM
frank

Note :a diesel engine has about the same power as a petrol engine if it's capacity is 50% bigger , so 1.1 Litre petrol engine = 1.7 Litre diesel.
Victor is right - diesel for cars is different from diesel for trucks (derv) and is usually kept beside the petrol.
Modern car diesel engines have good performance.
Diesel fuel needs no spark to ignite, in fact it's difficult to light with a match.It ignites by pressure.So no sparkplugs/winter starting probs.

Apr 16th, 2001, 06:02 AM
sherry

Alice. Make sure when you pick up your car exactly what type of fuel your car uses. I have rented cars that use both types of fuel. You do not want to make a mistake.

Apr 16th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Les

Just one correction to Frank's post.
Diesel's DO have winter starting problems. Much more so than spark plug engines. That's why most diesels have pre-heaters.

Apr 16th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Alice

Once again, thank you so much for the information and advice. You have provided me with much more than I expected. You have my gratitude and, as I fill up the car, I'll remember Victor's remarks about the nozzle!!

It's the seemingly small pieces of information you gather along the way that can make traveling so much easier.

You're Great! Alice