Chateaus and Vineyards

Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:07 PM
Linda

Chateaus and Vineyards

For the next installment of Linda goes to France and seeks help from the enlightened.... My daughter and I will be traveling between Paris and Nimes by train and, as suggested by a Fodorite in a response to a previous question of mine, we have decided we'd like to stop off for two nights at a chateau. I'd like suggestions for chateaus that are easily accessible from a train station on this route and hopefully in the vicinity of a vineyard. That's not too much to ask for is it?! Thanks.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Rex

My favorite reply to a question like this - - www.chateauxandcountry.com/chateaux/longsard - - is about 10 minutes (by taxi, I guess) from the train station at Villefrance s/Saone (about 30 minutes north of Lyon). Does that count?

To see better where it is, go to the webpage listed above and click on the "car-on-a-road" icon (2nd from the left) and you will get a map. I don't know why they list Lyon as the nearest train station as Villefranche s/S is much closer (I have only driven there, never by train). I don't know about two nights there. You would be dependent on taxi or owners Olivier and Alex(andra) to get around the area.

Anyhow, it's a real working vignoble/domaine (grows grapes and makes wine - - you don't always find both at a "vineyard" or "winery") and a cool, pre-revolutionary chateau.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:24 PM
wendy

Linda,

Will you let us know what you find!?

Wendy

Mar 24th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Linda

Rex, I had that website (and another one) and was overwhelmed my all the choices! It was also tedious trying to go back and forth looking at maps to decide if a chateau was near the train. Now, thanks to your response, I've found that even if I think I've figured it out, another train station could be closer (or further away or nonexistant or whatever). I've sent a few emails to places but they are slow to respond. Thank you for your suggestion.
Linda

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:00 PM
linda

to the top!