Chartres Tour-Malcolm Miller

Apr 6th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Sondra

Chartres Tour-Malcolm Miller

We will be going to Chartres mid-week in late May. Is the Malcolm Miller tour worth it, and do we need advanced reservations? If yes, do you have the number for the reservation. Merci

Apr 7th, 2000, 07:14 AM
michele

Sondra,

It is more than worth it. He is that rare combination of scholarship and showmanship; just excellent in every way.
You don't need reservations, just show-up a the appointed time. I THINK there are two tours a day covering different parts of the cathedral.

Chartres ws the highlight of our trip a few years ago due to Mr. Miller.

Apr 7th, 2000, 08:14 AM
elaine

this is the latest info I have

At the Cathedral, Englishman Malcolm Miller gives his wonderful tours at 12 and again at 2:30 (40 FF, Spring 1999) daily except Sundays.
The noon tour is different from the afternoon presentation. Each is about an hour and a quarter, and start near the gift shop in the cathedral. If you want to check to make certain he is there, the telephone number is 02 37 28 15 58.

Apr 7th, 2000, 09:35 AM
dan woodlief

Hopefully, you will not run into this, but we went on a Saturday and had planned on taking one of his tours. However, tours were not being held that day due to a wedding in the cathedral. It was interesting to watch some of the wedding, though.

Apr 7th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Caitlin

An amendment to Elaine's info: the tours are now at noon and 2:45 p.m. I was just there on Tuesday, but, like Dan, we missed out on Malcolm Miller. We'd planned to go to the later one, but it was cancelled for an educational program for the under-ten crowd about the cathedral organ. We sat in on this, and hearing 200 French schoolchildren chime in on "Frere Jacques" is a sweet memory. So call to make sure the tour is on when you plan to go. If you can't make it, the gift shop sells a detailed, large-format guide by Mr. Miller that explains the stained glass, and has great photographs, so you can do a decent self-guided tour. It's available in French or English for 99FF. A great memnto, too, much better photos than the postcards or what you could take yourself. If you stay later in the day, be aware that there is a 6 p.m. mass on weekdays; you can still look quietly at the stained glass in the front of the cathedral, but you'll want to be sure not to disturb the service. Even without the tour, Chartres was a highlight of our trip.

Apr 7th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Julie

Chartres was also the highlight of ours. Make sure to get the books there.

Apr 7th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Caitlin

One thing I forgot to say in my previous post: binoculars are essential for really seeing the stained glass.

Apr 7th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Celeste Benoit

Reply; Chartres is one of our favorite stops in France. Don't miss Malcolm Miller's tour!! and bring the Binos. We wish we could stay a whole week at Chartres and take tours with Mr Miller everyday. We didn't make reservations but be sure to show up before 12;00. Enjoy your visit.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:56 PM
topper

For Meg--See Elaine's post for telephone number.
Bon voyage!