Reload this Page >

directions to Versailles

Search

directions to Versailles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
kristine lamchek

directions to Versailles

my sister and i were hoping to venture out of paris and head off to the palace of versailles. we're staying at the holiday inn (226 avenue jean jaures, paris, france)on march 14. i tried mapquest for directions, but it gave me highway route. can someone please help me find directions with paris's public transportation. <BR> <BR>thank you!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:32 PM
trish

I am not sure on your location in Paris but there is a train that goes to Versailles that makes it very uncomplicated. You could probably ask at your hotel - I think it only leaves at certain times of the day - if memory serves me (its been a while) they do something with the fountains and music on Sunday afternoons. My husband and I were there six (!) years ago and it was beautiful - in the gardens because of the music - the tours were very crowded so maybe you don't like that. have fun!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:34 PM
elaine

To get there, take the RER line C to Versailles Rive Gauche (R.G.). The RER lines are suburban trains to and from Paris. Make sure your C train goes to Versailles Rive Gauche as the end destination.You'll have about a half-mile walk to the Chateau. You don't want any other Versailles stops as you will be farther from the chateau. <BR>When you leave the Rive Gauche station you will be on Avenue General de Gaulle. Head right on Ave. G deG and then left on the big Avenue de Paris which goes straight to the chateau. <BR>Tourist information offices: across the street from the Rive Gauche Station (tel 01 39 50 36 22), also on the approach to the chateau and one at the chateau at the entrance. <BR>Site is closed Mondays. <BR>Your options for tour tickets at Versailles are (check to make sure this info is still current): the main chateau with a self-guided walk; palace sections accessible only with a guide; and a tour of the Grand and Petit Trianons in the gardens. Acoustguides are available for use in the self-guided tours, as are free maps. The self-guided tour takes at least an hour. <BR>www.chateauversailles.fr/ <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:24 PM
no-name

A few more Versailles tidbits. Sunday is the when the fountains are turned on. And if you have the paris museum pass, it's good at Versailles --- helps to not have to stand in the long lines to get in. But in your circumstance, Kristine, I'm guessing that mid-March is not as busy as other times during the year. <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:30 PM
Brenda

<BR>Check out the subway navigator to help you get around Paris via metro: <BR>http://www.subwaynavigator.com/bin/s...h/france/paris <BR> <BR>OR <BR>http://www.paris.org/Metro/ <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:59 PM
clairobscur

<BR>Take the metro at the "porte de Pantin" station (the closest to your hotel)and hop off at "Gare d'austerlitz" station to take the RER line C (less than half an hour). Then follow the advice given by the other posters. <BR> <BR>You won't be in the most convenient spot in Paris, but if you're interested in such things, the music museum and science museum is just by your hotel. <BR> <BR>Some good restaurants in avenue jean jaures, too (if you don't mind eating beef, the local speciality since the slaughterhouses used to be situated in this area).