Reload this Page >

Chartres restaurant help

Search

Chartres restaurant help

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Me

Chartres restaurant help

The search engine here keeps telling me that it can't find any matches for my request, so I'm sorry to have to re-ask this question that has been covered before. There was a thread a few months back that talked about the Chartres cathedral. In the thread, there was mention of a restaurant/cafe near the cathedral. Several posters replied that they had eaten there and recommended it. I'm trying to find a good spot for lunch in Chartres - can anyone remember that cafe, or suggest another one? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Betsy

Hi, Me <BR> <BR>I think I have your answer! We were at Chartres last summer and had lunch at a great little restaurant near the cathedral. When you're facing the front of the cathedral, the restaurant is just to its right, across a narrow street. I believe the name is Serpente. We ate outside. Nice menue and not expensive. I found out about the restaurant on this forum and would definitely return. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage et bon appetit

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Betsy

That would be "menu," not "menue."

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Marija

Chartes has a Michelin one star called Truie qui File, not far from the cathedral. In the basement there is a restaurant called Les Caves de la Maison, under the same ownership as the one star. We had a wonderful lunch there. We still talk about the pate that was brought with the bread. (As much as you want, no extra charge.)

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Caitlin

I do believe you're thinking of Cafe Serpente, which is quite nice for lunch or an afternoon snack. You won't miss it; it is on a corner directly across the street from the lawn in front of the cathedral (on the right side if you're standing in front of the cathedral and facing it).

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Me

Yes, I think it was Serpente. Thank you Betsy and Caitlin for jogging my memory. Marija, your suggestion sounds lovely, too. Maybe we can squeeze in two lunches in Chartres! <BR> <BR>Thank you all for such quick responses. I'll drink a toast to you in Chartres!

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Ess

We had a pleasant lunch at Cafe Serpente when we visited Chartres on a Sunday afternoon. At one point there was a really cute little dog wandering around the restaurant sniffing for keepers.