Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Toledo on Monday: Casa -Museo El Greco, Cathedral, Are these and other sites closed?

Search

Toledo on Monday: Casa -Museo El Greco, Cathedral, Are these and other sites closed?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:46 PM
tana

I just realized our one full day in Toledo is on a Monday when, from what I've heard, sites in Spain are usually closed. I am interested in the above sites as well at the church of St. Tome. Does anyone know if they will be open??

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Maribel

Hi Tana, <BR>The church of Santo Tome will be open, but the Casa-Museo El Greco is closed on Mon. as well as the Alcazar. While the Sinagoga de Santa Maria la Blanca is open on Mon., the Sephardic Museum of the neighboring and larger Sinagoga del Transito is closed, but the church of San Juan de los Reyes will be open on Mon., plus the lovely Hospital/Museo de Santa Cruz and the Hospital/Museo de Tavera. So you should have plenty to see. The Hospital/Museo de Santa Cruz contains 12 paintings by El Greco, some of his best works, but on Mon. is does close during siesta, from 2-4. <BR>Tana , I owe you an email! Will send tonight... <BR>Maribel

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:30 PM
tana

Maribel!! Tell me Casa-Museo El Greaco is not that spectacular!! I am very sad to miss it when it is so close (I arrive late the day before and am leaving early the next morning)

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Maribel

Tana, <BR>Please don't be disappointed in missing it. I personally don't find the Casa Museo El Greco that much of an absolute "must see" for the following reasons: During your Madrid stay, you'll get to see the wonderful collection of El Greco paintings on the second floor of the Prado, the Hospital Museo Santa Cruz in Toledo has a fine collection of El Greco masterpieces itself, actually 18 works instead of 12, including his last great alterpiece, the Assumption, plus the Casa Museo was not El Greco's actual home, simply another attractive 16th c Toledo home, a replica of what his home would have looked like, and the famous "Vista de Toledo" displayed there (the same view you'll have from the Parador!) isn't the original. And you'll also get to see his great masterpiece, "The Burial of the Count of Orgaz" in the Iglesia de Santo Tome (try to get there early, when they open at 10, before the tour groups descend upon it). That's why I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:50 AM
eva

Just for your informationome of the best paintings of El Greco are on loan in an exhibition in Vienna until the middle of Sept.