Chartres and its environs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on taking a day trip to Chartres in about a week (from Paris), and I'm curious about how much time I should plan on spending there. Never having been, is there much in the way of interesting things to see beyond the Cathedral? My girlfriend (and traveling partner for the trip) is an architect, so we're more interested than the average person in all things pertaining to buildings, but still don't envision spending more than a few hours walking around the town after seeing the cathedral if there aren't specific destinations, especially since it will likely be cold.

In the vein, are there any other towns that would make a good combined visit with Chartres? We can be in Chartres as early as 8 am, and don't need to be back in Paris until late, so theoretically we could have upwards of 12-14 hours to explore. However, we are constrained by public transportation (and a limmited budget), so places on the rail lines or an easy bus trip are a must. If hanging out in Chartres ends up being a better option, how much time would people recommend allowing there, including, say, a nice slow lunch.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Versailles is on the same train line as Chartres. A half day in Chartres will be enough - nice regional town worth poking around but the 'world's greatest Gothic cathedral' is the main draw and a fantastic draw. Chartres train station is within eyeshot of the cathedral. Versailles is closed on Mondays i believe. Cathedral open all day everyday. See recent post on Malcom Miller tours as these can bring the cathedral's old stones and stained glass to life.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM

PalQ

Do you think its feasible to go to Chartes and Versailles in one long day?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I don't know about combining other towns, but do you read French? If so, this Michelin guide has a nice chapter on Chartres:

http://tinyurl.com/oldv7

I was only there for an hour, but I could easily have spent more time there. The guide has suggestions for workshops illustrating stained glass production, for example, among other very interesting things.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Feasible depending on travel style - sounds like they only want a quick look at Chartres meaning they could be in Versailles by 1 or 2pm - i guess if this is the only way you could see both yes. I would recommend a whole day in Chartres as the town has lots going for it and i'd take the Miller tour (albeit my disdainful comments on it in last post on him) and wander down to the cute river area, etc. But many tourists just want to see cathedral - in that case yes could do both. But i would recommend leisurely half day at both separately if you have time.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Chartres also has fine medieval precincts.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

It's starting to sound like Chartres would be worth hanging around in for a full day. I'm definitely not the type to walk through, snap a few pictures and move on to the next big ticket destination, but we are young and energetic, so I would consider spending, say, 5-6 hours in chartres and another 5-6 somewhere else.

I anticipate spending at least 3-4 hours just exploring the cathedral, but just wasn't sure of the calibar of the rest of the town. Specifically, I was worried that it might be too touristy to make for a pleasant day spent in cafes and on side streets, but it sounds like that fear might be misplaced.

As far as combining it with Versailles, we definitely plan on spending a whole day there (for the landscape architecture alone!), but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:28 AM

There's really not much in Chartres area to spend 5-6 hours at - only one i can think of is Ramboullet - the chateau that is i believe an occasional residence of the French President. On same train line i think. Never been to Ramboullet however. Hit the tourist office in Chartres by the cathedral and ask about their on your own walking tours with Walkmans.