Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Charming, pretty coastal town between Rome and Livorno?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this exist? We're arriving at 7am flight and will need to get up to Bolgheri, that's over a three hour srive and might be too much right after we land with no sleep.

Any suggestions on someplace maybe an hour or an hour and a half north of Rome or near the sea where we could spend the night?

I'm thinking of going to Ostia Antica first then driving no more than an hour and a half...Help!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Porto San Stefano is ideal for that scenario.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Porto Santo Stefano is a real pain in the rear to get to, and I certainly wouldn't want to do it jet-lagged at anytime, and not at all on (a) a nice weekend or (b) anytime in August, or even July. That said, any time of year, were I to bother to put up with the hassles of going out that way, I'd pick Porto Ercole over Porto Santo Stefano. Google up some pictures.

Why not stay in Ostia? Treat yourself to a really nice hotel, four or five stars. And a great dinner.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Ostia Antica is fascinating but it would be too much for me the day of a 7 a.m. arrival in Rome especially in hot weather. It is a big site and involves a lot of walking.

I would probably try to stop in Tarquinia which is high on my list of places to see near Rome for our next trip
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM

LOL, you are priceless,Zeppole. Let me apologize to Nina--she may not realize that whatever town I would have said then Zepplole would find fault. It is all part of her superior persona, or perhaps she just missed her medications.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Not true, bob! Without even looking at this thread, I just found myself in agreement with you about recommending Verona to another poster. Go check.

My reasons for dissuading nina from heading to Porto Santo Stefano have nothing to do with you.

Porto Santo Stefano sits at one end of a two-lane causeway that crosses a lagoon, and it is the only road into the town. In nice weather, it can be a traffic logjam. Furthermore, once you reach Porto Santo Stefano, the town is stacked on a series a hairpin turns. If you've booked right at sealeve, fine. If you have to negotiate the hills, no fun when you are jet legged.

Last but not least, Porto Santo Stefano is a lively pleasure boat harbor, but to me fails to have the charm of Porto Ercole (which is reached by the same lousy one-way road, it the other direction.) The ancient walled fortifications of Porto Ercole, the more modest boat harbor, make it for me a more relaxing place.

But honsestly, anytime during the summer, I wouldn't do either. If I were determined to get out of the Roman beaches (Ostia or Fregene), I think Tarquinia is an excellent suggestion -- but it's not on the beach. I would think about Lago Bracciano, too -- or, if I had my heart set on the beach, I'd even take a chance on Santa Marinella, or if I had the energy, Castiglione della Pescia. But since I've not been to either, I can't vouch for them to another poster.

http://www.castiglionepescaia.it/indexeng.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...acations.html#
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Bob, rather than apologize to nina or make me out to be a crzay, why not just elaborate for nina what other beach towns north of Rome you've visited besides Porto Santo Stefano, so she can put your advice in context?

People on Fodor's go to one place, have a fun time, and then recommend it to others without considering or even knowing what time of year the other poster is going, how jet lagged they will be or how experienced they are with driving in Italy.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM

here are pictures of Porto Santo Stefano and Porto Ercole.

http://images.google.com/images?clie...N&hl=en&tab=wi

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...q=porto+ercole
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I didn't mean to suggest Tarquinia is on a beach, just along the coast near/overlooking the sea and not too far north of Rome.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM

It's actually got some nice sea views, and I think it is a GREAT town to visit. Very beautiful.

I had a wonderful stay at Gran B&B Duomo, and very good, fresh seafood at the Michelin-recommended Arcadia. I have also heard good things about the restaurant Cavatappi (which has a more traditional Tuscan and even Etruscan dishes).
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your primary concern is driving time, you should know Porto San Stefano is more than 90 minutes from the airport. More like 2 hours.

If your trip is not in summer, I'd suggest Santa Marinella which is less than an hour from the airport. But if your trip is in summer, especially on weekends, the town would be very crowded. I'm not sure I'd describe Santa Marinella as particularly charming, but it's OK for an interim night.

If you have bags of money, this is probably my favorite hotel in Italy:

http://www.lapostavecchia.com/index_eng.php
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Just in case people are using a GPS or what have you, its Porto SanTO Stefano.

As for Santa Marinella, this looks nice:

http://www.venere.com/hotels/santa-m...a/hotel-isola/