Charles DeGaulle to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charles DeGaulle to Paris

I am checking on directions from the airport to our Paris hotel at

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/visiting-paris/

There is more than 1 listing for Charles DeGaulle. Maybe someone can explain for me.

Aeroport Charles De Gaulle 1 (RER), Tremblay-en-France is one of them
Aeroport Charles De Gaulle 2 Tgv (RER), Le Mesnil-Amelot is the other

I feel like I read that TGV stands for something that we wouldn't be using - going to Disney on the Magical Express perhaps.

On the other hand, we are going into terminal 2 - so maybe the 1 or 2 stands for terminal #.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM

You need to go out to the taxi stand and take a cab to your hotel.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Don't confuse yourself with this. Just take a taxi like Gretchen said. It is door-to-door service. Just sit back and enjoy the ride into Paris. Have a wonderful vacation.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM

If you want to take the taxi into Paris, you do not take TGV trains, those are theft strains. You want the RER trains.

There is great signage that will get you to the RER
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 07:37 PM

You'll want the RER B which is located between Terminal 2D and 2E. Terminal 2 is big, but again the signs will be clear

This should make it clearer.

http://parisbytrain.com/paris-airpor...in-photo-tour/
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM

RER B, it's easy to find your way into Paris that way.

Some people like taxis and shuttle buses but they travel on the same freeways as every other car and get stuck in traffic just like the other cars. If you can relax in traffic, go that way. I prefer the train, it's so much quicker.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 09:55 PM

<i>Aeroport Charles De Gaulle 1 (RER), Tremblay-en-France is one of them
Aeroport Charles De Gaulle 2 Tgv (RER), Le Mesnil-Amelot is the other</i>

There are two RER stations at CDG. The first is at Roissypôle which is between terminals 1 and 2 on the free rail shuttle line CDGVAL. The second RER station is in terminal 2. Trains stop at both locations.

The easiest way to get into Paris is by taxi. It's door-to-door service and arriving with luggage and when tired, many consider it worth the 50€ to 55€ expense. Taxis have an exclusive use lane along A1 allowing them to bypass much of the traffic into the city. Taxis do not necessarily get stuck in traffic as often as do other cars.
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 05:58 AM

CDG RER stop 1 accesses terminals 1 and 3, stop 2 is for terminal 2.

last two times I took a taxi, it was about 65 euro, not 50-55 (that was within last 2 years). But that was going to CDG, not from it, on off-hours or a Sunday when rates are higher. I know we had no special lane, so maybe it's just a special lane going into Paris?
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Take a taxi. Have your hotel address on a piece of paper and a small map, if possible.
Simplify your trip, especially since it seems this might be a first for you.
It will be in the neighborhood of 50-60E. You don't say how many people are travelling, but it is even more advantageous if it is more than one.
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help!

I will be sure to share some trip notes when I return.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Will write more later - but we bought the passes and took the RER and metro to our hotel. It worked!
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM

TGVs are high-speed long-distance trains serving CDG Terminal 2 TGV station - RERs to Paris also use the same station though a separate part.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting you took the RER rather than the taxi, traveller; it's what we have always done and it's always worked well for us.

looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 04:54 PM

We always take RER...it's very fast...but this clearly depends on preference, hotel location, and amount of luggage. We only have two carry-ons, and our hotel is usually only a few blocks from the station. If we had more, we'd take a taxi

Do what makes you most comfortable.

SS
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 02:57 AM

ssander - I have taken to only booking hotels in Paris that are convenient for the RER. it makes arriving and departing so much easier!
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:15 AM

Traveler 2005:

I was recently back in Paris. I decided, at the spur-of-the-moment, to go on Expedia and book a 3-night stay in Paris, leaving from up in Scandinavia, where my summer base was, as that's where I was renting an apartment. It happened very fast and I knew that I would be winging that particular Paris trip.

As for transportation, since all of my Paris info was at home, here in the U.S., I couldn't remember the shuttle company that I usually use. I flew into Paris (CDG) on Air France. I got into a taxi at 3:15PM, on a Tuesday, and arrived to my hotel at 4:30PM. My hotel was Hotel Madison, on Blvd. St.Germain, in the 6th. My fare was 67,50 Euro. I keep a travel journal.

On my way back to CDG, on a Friday, I took the shuttle service and paid the 8 euro deposit to the hotel and then the 18 euro to the shuttle driver. I asked for a 6:30AM pick up time, but was told that the shuttle could arrive at 6:45AM. The shuttle arrived at 6:30AM and there was one person in it and one other person to pick up and then off the shuttle went to CDG.

That was my recent experience. Have a great trip.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:35 AM

I forgot to add that that was June 30,2015-July 03,2015 to clarify, "recent".

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all of your insights.

ssander - thanks for the idea of booking near an RER stop. Our hotel was convenient to two metros, but booking one by an RER is genius.

Leaving the city, we walked to the nearest RER. As it turned out, it was only about 15 minutes itself.

We happened to be in Paris from a Monday through a Sunday and bought a weekly pass that coincidentally covered the same days. It was only 40 euro (plus 5 if we hadn't brought our own photos). It took us everywhere we wanted to go except Giverney which is beyond the 5 zone system. We took it to and from the airport, to Versailles, to Disneyland, and to another small town that had a park that my friend wanted to see.

I don't want to mislead anyone. I would call the system more complicated to use than New York, for instance, because it is so large and transfer points are sometimes some distance apart. There is good signage, but you have to be on your toes. We did notice that some directional signs for 7 may be missing between Chatelet and Chatelet les Halles. We followed, followed, followed, and then the signs all pointing to lines that we didn't want. We figured which way to go by going down one of the possible paths and then turning around to see what way signs told people to go who were coming from that direction.

My friend and I decided that it was not always easy, but that we were always successful. I am sure it is easy for some of you - but that was our experience.

We enjoyed using public transportation. But taxis have their place too. Thanks for all that suggested alternatives.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Chatelet and Les Halles is under massive reconstruction at this point, hence the signage issues. We've always used that station as our base as it connects everywhere, but this year (March-April) we avoided it like the plague. I anticipated it being bad, so we actually taxied to and from CDG this time. I can't remember the cost out to the airport, but coming in on a Friday morning took us 1:17 minutes to the corner of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd arrondissements, at a cost of 62.5 euro, with two passengers, and three bags total in the trunk.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 12:56 PM

ssander - thanks for the idea of booking near an RER stop. Our hotel was convenient to two metros, but booking one by an RER is genius.>>

traveller - I think that was me in response to ssander [who clearly has the sea idea so it also a genius] - can I tell my family I have achieved genius status?

anyway, whoever's idea it was, IMO the best RER B stop to focus on is St Michel-Notre Dame as it connects with the RER C, though it's a very long correspondence, so once you are at your hotel, you have wide range of lines at your disposal. Chatelet is also very good but as you have said, the correspondence there is also huge, and we found it easier just to take the first door to the outside and then walk above ground to our hotel, which was very convenient for the Line 1. with it currently being dug up, it may be one to avoid for the time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -