chapel in Paris.

Feb 12th, 1999, 08:11 AM
catherine

chapel in Paris.

Does anyone know where the chapel is in Paris that the french royal family were 1st buried?I read about it along time ago.It is called the ex something.Also does anyone know what happened to the daughter of Louis XV1 and Marie Antoinette?I know thier son died in the Tour St Jaques.

Feb 12th, 1999, 08:31 AM
elaine

Hi
I believe the chapel you mean is Chapelle Expiatoire which stands in Square Louis XVI betw. boul. Haussman
and rue des Mathurins in the Opera quartier. The Square was formerly a cemetery where many victims of the guillotine were buried, including the king and queen. The king and queens remains were later moved to Basilica
St. Denis. The Chapelle was built by Louis XVIII in their honor.
I don't have any info on their daughter, I didn't realize they had one.

Feb 12th, 1999, 09:35 AM
dan

Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette actually had four children. One daughter died early. Their other son, the Dauphin, died just before the revolution broke out. The eldest daughter, who became known as Madame Royale, did survive the revolution, but I do not have any information on what happened to her.

Feb 15th, 1999, 06:08 AM
Catherine

Thanks for the info,I think I will visit this chapel in may.It is supposed to have an unusual atmosphere.I wish someone knew what happened to the princess who survived.I can't find it in any book.

Feb 15th, 1999, 07:26 AM
wes fowler

Catherine,
Your question piqued my curiosity. Louis XVI had three children with Marie Antoinette, Sophie Helene Beatrix was born in 1786 and died a year later. Louis Charles, Duke of Normandy, born in 1785 was imprisoned with his parents in the Temple in 1792 and died there in 1785. Rumors, never proven, circulated after his death proclaiming he had escaped the Temple. Marie Therese Charlotte was born 1778, died 1851 was the "orphan of the Temple" imprisoned there for three years during which she received no news of her parents fate. She was the Duchesse d'Angouleme and a biography of her by G. Lenotre was translated into English by J. L. May.

Feb 16th, 1999, 04:30 AM
wes fowler

Catherine,
Whoops! Typo; Louis Charles died in 1795, not 1785.

Feb 16th, 1999, 10:12 AM
dan

Wes, my sources say that Louis XVI had two sons, both named Louis. I think the first one was born in 1781. One died in 1789 and the other in 1795. I will see if I can dig up more on this at home. I have several books on the French Revolution, but I cannot be sure that the death of the first son will be mentioned there.

Feb 16th, 1999, 10:29 AM
dan

The first Louis was Louis Joseph, but I am still looking for more details.

Feb 16th, 1999, 11:50 AM
wes fowler

Dan,
Right you are. Discovered the first son died in 1789, apparently from tuberculosis. Found a reference in Simon Schama's "Citizens". Interesting that I can find nothing about Marie
Therese Charlotte, the devil who started this whole conversation.