Chapel in Madrid Airport

Search

Chapel in Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chapel in Madrid Airport

I am travelling with a very religious person to Spain. We have a 3 hour lay over in Madrid on a Saturday before connecting to a flight to Malaga. Does anyone know if the chapel in Madrid airport is open all day Saturday for prayer/worship? Otherwise, we have to look for a church for him when we arrive in Malaga and have to wait around for him. We rather not have to do that.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM

For many of us, attending Mass in the countries we visit is part of the whole cultural experience.

It will probably be easy to find a church in Malaga where he can attend Mass at a church your hotel can point you to, and the service shouldn't last much over an hour.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:56 AM

Madrid-Barajas Airport Mass timetable
There are two chapels

Chapel in Terminal 2 :

Mon to Fri, 10.00AM
Sat, 19.00 (PM)
Sun, 12.00 AM

Chapel in Terminal 1 :

Only Sun and observed festivities, at 11.00 AM

Chapels I presume are always open to pray.

Information obtained directly by phone from the airport info service. You can search at Spain Air Navigation website: www.aena.es

Tell me where you shall stay in Malaga and I may try to find a nearby church. On saturday and sunday evenings there is mass service almost everywhere at 19.00, 20.00 and several at 21.00 hours.
Josele.

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

My friend doesn't need to attend mass. He just needs a place to pray. We will arrive Madrid airport Saturday 7am & depart for Malaga 10am. I thing arrival & separture are both Termiinal 2. As long as the chapel is open during that time period, that would be ok. We are staying in the Benalmadena-Costa area. Are the churches in Spain open even when there is no mass?
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:41 AM

This is not meant to offend, but I'm curious here and will easily admit my ignorance. Is this a Catholic thing --having to pray inside a specific chapel or church? I had a very religious friend travel with a small group of us who prayed at every opportunity. But it was just as likely to be on top a mountain -- along the seacoast -- or in his hotel room or backstage before a performance of our play.

In the Catholic religion does praying need to be in a certain place?
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM

no, catholics do not need to be in a chapel or church to pray.
I do not know if chapels/churches in Benalmadena are open all day. I presume they are, but not sure.
Josele.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

My friend is a 7th day adventist & he observes sabbath on a Saturday. They are not even supposed to travel on a Saturday. Since we depart NY for Malaga on friday, he can finish his trip even though it involves travelling on a Saturday. He attends church every Satuday and feels he is closer to God when he is praying in church. What are we supposed to say to that?
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:51 AM

I don't think there's anything you should or could say to that. I'd just go along with it. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting that you make an issue about it, I was just curious about why it needed to be a church -- and apparently this friend has already explained that.

Also, isn't it interesting how we can sometimes misunderstand? I wonder why I assumed it was a catholic thing we were talking about -- since it clearly isn't.