Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chania -- how does it compare to Nafplion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading about how charming Chania is and how it shouldn't be missed on a trip to Greece.

We are actually basing ourselves in Elounda (free starwood points), and I'm trying to figure out if Chania is worth a 3 hour drive (6 both ways). We will have a car. (staying there over night is unfortunately not an option)

We have travelled a bit throughout Peloponnesos and a few islands. We do love Nafplion (IMO a very charming picturesque town) and (if possible) am trying to gage how "charming" and picturesque Chania really is by comparing the two towns.

I know the comparison may not be fair and sort of crazy, but am trying to figure out if it's worth the trip...

Anyone who has been to both like to comment?

Thanks!!
dina
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Tag this in
Greece instead of Italy and you will stand a better chance of a response.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We've been to both of these beautiful small cities. When I asked my Greek friends who live in Athens which to see, they commented that it would be impossible to choose between the two. We loved both of them and plan return visits.
Napflion seemd smaller, at least in the tourist oriented section by the water. Chania has strong Turkish and Venetian influences from its history of those occupations. Napflion seemed more Italian. Chania's waterfront is more extensive.I can't imagine going to Crete and not seeing Chania. I'm sure the resort on the eastern end of Crete is lovely and using points is terrific. However,isn't there a way you could spend some time staying in Chania?
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

oops -- messed up on the tag. don't think i can change it now, unless i repost. right??
not sure about that.

happy trvlr--
chania sounds lovely. we are on a strict budget this trip, and are only staying in hotels that take our starwood points -- which is why we can't afford to stay in chania. sounds like it is worth the day trip maybe. my husband doesn't usually mind driving.

i wonder if we got to knossos really early -- 9am. stayed till 11 or 12. drove to chania for lunch and walked around. then drove back to the resort for dinner.

i think knossos to chania is about an hour and half?

thanks.

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to both, and Chania is definitely "cuter" than Napflio, but it can get swamped with tourists in the afternoon. I certainly wouldn't spend six hours on a round trip drive to see it.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

well, that's what i'm trying to figure out.
thanks so much for your opinion, thursday!!
i appreciate it.

dina

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're welcome. In case it helps, I have photos of both here: kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/264391 - Heart of Greece 68-73 and Greek Islands 1-22.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

i LOVE your photos. thanks for sharing them.

it was great to see the photos from knossos and the samarian gorge (another site that's i'm upset is too far from eastern crete)