changing Trains in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We will be changing trains in Germany. We go from Paris to Munich and do not want to take the overnight train. Several of the trains listed on the Bahn site
have trains with change of train that are only about 10 minutes or less. Is that possible to make a train change in such a short time? also when I looked to see how the booking worked, it noted that the 2nd train did not have tickets available. How does that work? This is for the end of June so tickets aren't for sale yet, but I have been looking a days where they are available. Any advice on how this works would be appreciated. thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, 10 minutes is probably plenty of time depending on which station you have to change in...that is probably the least of your worries. People OFTEN make changes with less than FIVE minutes.

As to that second train and tickets not available...could it be that they "aren't available" because it is more than 60 days out?

I think you are worried for no reason but I say that because I've done this sort of thing many times.

As to that change..be READY to get OFF the train as soon as it arrives and know where to look for the location of your connection.

BTW, where ARE you changing trains?
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>10 minutes or less. Is that possible
ICE tran to Munich will be on the same platform on the other trak in Stuttgart. 10min are plenty, if the TVG is on time.
>2nd train did not have tickets available
bookings only 3 months in advance
www.bahn.de is selling those tickets, just print them on your PC, no problem.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes those platform assignments CHANGE...be aware of that possibility.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM

In that case, do listen to the announcement onboard the TGV and follow the crowds in Stuttgart. (unless there's a football game on the same day, but then you'd notice their somewhat strange clothes )
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you! As I understand from the Bahn site tickets are available 92 days out. I did a "dummy" purchase 92 days out and could get the first leg , Paris to Stuttgart, but the Stuttgart to Munich said tix not available or something to that effect.

Logos, u mention if the TGV is on time. r they generally on time? Suppose it is late and I miss the connection? Do they put me on the next train?

You r correct, I'm no expert on trains and transferring, so your advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:17 AM

and if you miss your first connection there will be no doubt 1 or 2 more trains within the hour - that is if you have fully flexible tickets to use on any train - so if doing the SPAR type discount fare I would leave more than 10 mins between trains just to be sure that you can make the specific train your disounted ticket may only be valid on - and yes in my years of German train riding it seems that in recent years more and more trains are Spatlese or whatever the wording on the overhead signs often say with a + or - minutes the train will be spatlese or late so I would not count on 10 mins. Check these great sites for more insights on German trains - www.seat61.com; www. ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com. And yes even French TGVs can be late - not unusual to be 10 mins late - I would check with www.bahn.de for the exact platform numbers your train comes in on and the other leaves - yes IME like logos on adjoining platforms but not always and also take Dukey's advice as trains can be shifted to other platforms on short notice if things get congested to things like late running trains - there are so so many trains in Germany on often congested tracks that there can be a domino effect if a few are late IME.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM

yestravel - good advive above.

I found the German rail stations to be the best with regards to new travelers. I found platforms well marked with a nice little picture of how the train comes in, which cars are where, etc.

As others have said, I do think 10 min is plenty of time but you don't want to waste either. Make sure you know which platform is your next (also beware if there are changes).

Also: Because I am woman enough to admit I made this stupid mistake my first time on a German train: Make sure you push the button to open the doors of the train when it stops if you are the first one there! I did not and stupidly waited and said goodbye to my station as the train pulled out again. Silly me.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM

>Do they put me on the next train?
Yes. If there's still time and your ticket is limited to a certain train, you should go to the Bahn Information in the station. It's easy to find, There, they'll extend your ticket to be vaild for the next train. If you don't have the time just enter the next train and explain what happened, they'll know.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM

There are coordinated changes of some trains however and this I suspect may be the case of the Paris to Munich services - more due to technical matters of TGV and ICE compatibilities with older tracks in Germany - both can run on the new TGV-Est line from Stuttgart to Paris - so if so they may well hold up the connecting train since it may be considered a thru service. Overnight trains go direct but may not even take the new high-speed line?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM

1. 10 minutes is absolutely fine. If you miss it, ask and they'll put you on the next one 30 minutes later.

2. www.bahn.de will offer you prices up to 92 days ahead (can be squeezed to less than this for dates after a timetable change, eg 12 June this year).

3. If it offers you a price, you can buy that combo of trains from Paris to Munich. I've never known it offer a ticket for the first train but not the second. It just doesn't do that. It'll either offer a fare for both trains or no fare at all. There's a direct Paris-Munich train at 15:24, incidentally.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Ditto Dukey1. Be at the door with your bag in hand a few minutes before your train stops. Ask the conductor for the number of your connecting platform and how to get there. For a main line connection it is usually on the opposite side of your arrival platform. If so it will take you about 15 seconds to walk over to it. If your train is late the continuing train will probably be held for connecting passengers. For an illustrated introduction to European trains see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank u all so much! Very helpful.
Yes, I know that there is one train with no connection, but so far the fares for the non stop are running much higher. I keep checking just to see how quickly the lower fares sell out. will try and buy our ticket tomorrow evening for June 28. I will need to have it mailed since I am traveling and don't have access to a printer. Assume that shouldn't be a problem?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM

No problem.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Being reassured by your responses I booked my train tics with the 7 minutes between trains. I will certainly follow all your good advice when the time comes.