Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards or Buckingham Palace???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen discussion on this board that the changing of the guard is better at Horse Guards than at Buckingham Palace. I'm trying to convince my husband to do the one at Horse Guards - since I don't want to do two. Why is Horse Guards better - or do you think it is??? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:33 PM
vcl

Horse Guards is simpler, less crowded and takes place every day. But for serious pomp and circumstance, the changing at Buckingham Palace is the one to see.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:48 PM

They are really two entirely different ceremonies. However, it's very difficult to actually SEE the changing of the guard at BP unless you get there 90 minutes before the ceremony to get a spot. After seeing it for the first time, I though "is that all there is?" To me, the Royal Horseguards is much more ceremonial with more interaction. It lasts about 1/2 hour and is less crowded so you don't have to arrive that early. It made for some great photos too!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:50 PM

I've only been to the Horse Guards changing once. I don't think that there was music-maybe a few trumpets. It was quite disappointing. On the other hand, I love the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace, with all the color [red jackets in summer] and marching and wonderful band music. I see it several times on every trip to London. I try to resist but I always end up there, in spite of the wait and crowds. As ycl said, it is serious pomp and circumstance!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:39 PM

daph, I don't know which Horseguards Ceremony you watched, but the one I watched was not disappointing at all. All of the Horseguards were dressed in beautiful red jackets with white headresses sitting regally on their magnificent black horses! I thought it was splendid, but then to each his own, I guess.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:17 AM

What time of the day does the Royal horsegaurds take place? And where can you see it?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Takes place daily in the summer at 11:00 AM at the Royal Horseguards on Whitehall.

More info at thhis address:

http://www.travelbritain.com/london/...orseguard.html

Enjoy the show.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:37 PM

There was just something about seeing the Changing of the Guard at the Palace that made it woth the crowds and waiting. If you want to see the pageantry of it all, go to Buckingham Palace.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Hey...most of us grew up hearing about "Changing of the Guard" at Buckinghma Palace....and most of us learned of the Changing of the Horse Guard by being in London, or reading about it .....Been to both...like the Horse Guard...thought it was more interactive, But ..Going to London and not seeing COG at BP?....I think the main idea is to be prepared....go early(to get good view spot), be prepared for the large crowd, and waiting. Sort of like going to Mt.Fuji(Japan) or Mt. Haleakala(Maui,Hi.) for sunrise....once is great, but would you do it again...on purpose?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:58 PM

What about seeing it at Windsor as a friend suggested we do? Good alternative?