Reload this Page >

Changing of Guard at Buckingham Palace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:58 PM
SD

I'm visiting London from Jan 19-28, 2002 and would like to see the changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace on the day I arrive (Jan 19), but I know the ceremony takes place ever other day in the winter. My question is which days does the ceremony take place -- even or odd numbered days of the month? Any clairification on this would help me plan my trip. Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Vita

According to the London Tourist Board (http://www.londontouristboard.com):<BR><BR>In January the Guard will change on 2, 3, then odd dates, for example 5, 7, 9 and so on. <BR>In February and March the Guard will change on even dates.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:56 PM
SD

Thanks a bunch for the info, Vita. I've been searching web sites for this info for the past two days!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:44 PM
janis

If you are arriving at LHR or LGW it may be hard to get to the Palace in time -- unless you land very early in the morning.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Lauren

Unless you get there very early and stake out your location you may only see the tuchases of others trying to see the Changing of the Guard.<BR><BR>This rates on my list of things definitely not worth doing in London due to the hassle and the fact that most of the show goes on inside the gate. People press up to the gate.<BR><BR>If you must do this, it may be wise to pack a periscope.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Ladybug

Hello, Sarah - I also feel it's an overrated attraction and wish we hadn't wasted half a day of precious time in London. It would be different if there's the chance of even glimpsing the Queen, I guess. Does anyone know if she ever appears for the public during this ceremony? <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Tangata

Consider instead the changing of the Guard at the Horseguards. Fewer people, no fences and as they are mounted you can see everything.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Karen

Certainly agree with going to Changing of the Guard at the Horseguards...much, much better.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:08 AM
carolyn

An alternative is to stand at the entrance to the park across from the street the guards march down. You get an excellent view of the pipers and the guards as they march straight toward you and then turn right to go up to the Palace.