Reload this Page >

Unexpensive hotels in and around Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Vannessa

Hello!<BR>We'll be three students travelling to Portugal next month (for a competition) and we'll be spending about a week, any recommmendations for lodgins in and around Lisbon which will not break the bank and what sight seeing is most recommended and how to get there?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Ted

Or even inexpensive hotels.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Surlok

Vanessa,<BR><BR>I've read some posts recommending Hotel Borges in the Chiado neighborhood on this board. It's not expensive at all.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:50 AM
GGinSF

I stayed at the Borges a couple years ago. For students on a budget it's not bad. Rooms are small, my bed was a bit lumpy, furniture was old, cheap & kind of dumpy. However, the people were nice, the location is good for nightlife, and it was CHEAP. I think of it as one step up from a youth hostel. If (I hope WHEN) I return to Lisbon I'm going to look for another place that's a step up, but if you're on a budget the Borges is OK.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Amanda

We just came back from a trip--spent 2 nights in Lisbon--one was in the Arco Bandeira and I don't recommend it. The other was in the Hotel Florescente for 40 Euros and it was great. Rooms small, neat, clean, with TV and bathroom. They are rehabbing so it's better than Fodors review suggests. Very central. Borges looked nice too--it's about a 10 minute walk from the Florescente (most things in the Bairro Alto, Baixa and Chiado are fairly close to each other). Eat dinner at the Casa do Alentejo on the same street as Florescente--it's not super cheap but not expensive and we had a great meal there. Look for the purple neon sign and don't worry if you think it's closed--just go on up through the half-open door and up the stairs and you'll have a great dinner in a unique setting.<BR><BR>Best of luck--email me if you have questions.<BR><BR>Definitely take the #28 trolley up from the Baixa to Castelo de Sao Jorge. Easy to do (it was 170$00 escudos per person--not sure about Euros but maybe 50 cents?). Very scenic and fun and a short ride.