Change of plans...

Search

Change of plans...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change of plans...

Well it looks like our original itinerary has changed. We are not renting a car and so flying into Shannon and making our way down to Kerry is just not going to be an option for us. We are flying into Shannon on morning of July 4th, flying back to NY on July 15th. July 9th thru July 14th we have our travel plans set but we are trying to figure out the plans from July 4 - July 9 and also the night of July 14th. Would really appreciate input on which of the following itinerary we should follow:

Land in Shannon around 9:30am July 4th. Catch connecting flight to Dublin and stay in Dublin the nights of July 4th & 5th. We would then take the train to Galway and spend the nights of July 6th, 7th & 8th with possible day trip to the Aran Islands on July 7th.

Our other option would be to take the bus from Shannon to Ennis for a night or two and then on to Doolin, making our way up to Galway by the 7th.

Would it be to much to try to do this first option in this time frame? Would greatly appreciate any input from those who have done similar trips...also, I know July is high season so will it be tough to find accomodations now? Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll get more response if you re-post w/ a title that says what you want to know -- or a VERY least mentions Ireland.

"Change of plans..." doesn't tell anyone anything important. You could be talking about anywhere in Europe . . . . .
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM

I agree about your title. I checked it because, yes, I was curious as to what you were referring to. But it would be better to repost with a more detailed title.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Why the change in plans? It would be a far better trip to get the rental car out of Shannon and tour around.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM

It depends on whether you want to do Dublin this trip.
Then, train Dublin-Galway is not your only option: BusEireann does the route as does CityLink (private) bus Company

You could conceivably make it to Kerry the day of your arrival: BusEireann Shannon to Limerick City; change buses and go to Tralee via Adare, Abbeyfeale etc. Tralee is in County Kerry! But you probably wanted to do the Ring of Kerry ...
http://www.BusEireann.ie
Click on DayTours on the BusEireann website. It may push you down to Cork City: BusEireann has a lot of day tours from there (incl. Ring of Kerry)

Galway doesn't have Day Tours listed yet but as I recall, during Summer Bus Eireann runs a number of tours out of Galway. And you should try to be in Galway Sat., 8 July because several of the Pubs in the Pedestrian-only area have afternoon Trad Irish music sessions (Taaffes & one across the way)

Don't buy an Irish Fisherman's sweater that's made in Nepal!

I travel almost exclusively by bus in Ireland because I'm a Septuagenarian and Car rental companies either will not rent to me (over-74) or they tack on a huge insurance surcharge.

Talk to the people at the BusEireann desk at Shannon airport: it's at the end of the car-rental counters. The people there are friendly and will try to help you. They may even be able to sell you an Expressway Bus Timetable (book) that has most of the routes and schedules