Ceuta, Spain

I'm thinking about spending 1-2 days in
Ceuta. Has anyone been there? I hope to
get a taste of Morroco without the customs
/guide hassles.
Thanks Greg

Apr 20th, 2000, 04:59 AM
bo_jack

We went there on a day-trip (fast ferry from Algeceris) two years ago. It was OK, but I doubt that it is much of a "taste of Morroco." Once away from the dock area (where there is a lot of activity) it seemed fairly "typical" of some non-descript towns in Spain. We had lunch at the Parador, quite good, and walked around a bit. Saw little or nothing to bring us back for more than 1 night at most, but we did not regret going. It is an easy walk from the docks to the Parador and into the town.

Apr 20th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Maribel

I agree totally with Bo_jack. Have taken the ferry on a day trip to Ceuta.
Look around, have lunch at the Parador,take an afternoon ferry back. Not deserving of an overnight, in my opinion. You'll get a little taste of Morocco (but Ceuta is, after all, a Spanish territory) without the hassles of Tangiers.

May 7th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Loraine

Could you tell me the fare for a daytrip on the ferry to Ceuta?
Thank you

May 7th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Maribel

My Let's Go Spain/Portugal 2000 says 1,801 pts. one way.

May 7th, 2000, 09:45 AM
bo_jack

My very vague memory is that it was in the ballpark of $60 per person (round trip) -- quite a bit more than 1800 Pesetas. This was on the "fast ferry" -- about 1 hour for the crossing -- quite a nice boat. I recall thinking it was sort of pricy for a couple of hour boat ride -- but not so high as to be prohibitive for us -- so, $60 seem consistent with my sense of value. You will see lots of billboards on the road to Algecirus offering tickets. I recommend that you do not get them until you are at the dock, itself. There are slow and fast boats, and I doubt you would really know what you are getting. Even in Algecirus at the docks there will be people trying to sell tickets in/near the parking lots. Buy the tickets at a ticket window, not in the lots. If you are leaving a car, try to leave it obviously, and absolutely, empty and park it in the fenced parking lot -- not very expensive. Algecirus, itself, is very unsavory in the dock area, (somewhat typical of many ports world-wide) but we had no trouble there.

May 7th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Maribel

Sorry, Loraine-should have checked further. The 1,801 pts. is for the 1hr. 1/2 regular ferry (which I took). Bo_jack is absolutely right-the "fast ferry" costs 2,2945 pts. ONE WAY and takes 40 min.
http://www.andalucia.com/travel/ferry/home.htm

May 8th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Julie

I would like to take a day trip to Morocco but I'm unsure if I should go to Ceuta or Tangiers. It seems like they are two different places. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Julie