Ceuta or Tangiers?

Jun 5th, 2000, 08:47 PM
Julie

Ceuta or Tangiers?

I'm going to Costa del Sol in the fall and would like to take a day trip to Morocco but I'm unsure if I should go to Ceuta or Tangiers. It seems like they are two different places. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Julie

Jun 6th, 2000, 02:59 AM
nevado

Ceuta is actually part of Spain which borders Morocco. If you want "true" Morocco, I would go to Tangiers. It's not the most attractive city but it's all you'll be able to fit in in a day trip. For less hassles, you may want to consider a tour for the day. On the plus side, you'll be taken to the main attractions without being bothered by guides and you'll be taken from place to place by coach. The down side is that you'll be taken to shops with which they have "contracts" and will not get in the shopping you could if you had gone on your own. Basically, if you're going to see Tangiers and a bit of the coast, take a tour. If you main goal is to shop, you may want to go on your own but be prepared to be hassled the entire time by locals desiring to be your guide. You WILL be approached constantly and that's just the way it is. Some people get "official guides" from the tourist office once they get to Tangiers.

Jun 10th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Don

Just back from Spain/Tangiers.
The Tangiers excursion was at the same time the worst and most memorable experience of our trip. This is not like Europe! If you go take a group tour with guide. You will be hasseled, hustled, pushed, and panicked. If you can stand the persecution it opens your eyes to a different world. Do not recommend that you go alone.

Jun 11th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Maira

My experience was sooo similar to Don's (previous post) that it made me hesitate on whether to post or not. But, since it does involves potential travel safety, it probably is worth reiterating the point.

Tangiers was an eye opener for me. I came back with a deep appreciation for running water, etc... Very agressive market people, do not take money out, nor encourage any type of trade if you are not really interested. I was very harrased at the market because I wandered on my own. Definitely very, very different from continental Europe. Our guide was a local and gave us a great overview of Morocco's history, very hard working people, even the small kids in the Medina have a role in the community taking the bread to the communal furnaces and ovens. Definitely worth experiencing, just be safe.

Jun 12th, 2000, 09:14 PM
Julie

Thanks for the replies. Since, I'm going with another person, I'm leaning towards Tangiers, it sounds like more of an experience. I will definitely be taking a tour. Are there any tour groups that you can book in advance? Any recommendation?

Jun 13th, 2000, 05:31 AM
nevado

Check with the congierge at your hotel or in the town you're staying in. It's a common offering so you shouldn't have trouble finding one. It should cost around $75-$100 which includes transfers to the ferry terminal, ferry, coach transportation in Tangiers and lunch.

Jul 5th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Janet

Just got back last night from 3 weeks in Spain with a day visit to Tangiers. The "you WILL be hasseled" statement is correct. It was really obxonious. We were never alone, emphatically stated we did not want a guide but nevertheless someone always thought they could prevail upon us to accept them as the guide. It was always free, but of course could give them something at the end of the tour if we enjoyed it.

Finally we were alone and yet one more guide came to offer his services. I turned to him and said in a very annoyed theatrical voice: "Did he not understand, we do not want a guide!" He went off mumbling to himself something about how sorry he was for my husband to have to live with such a shrew although this was just a guess on our part. I gave a great performance and it worked.

The staff of the boat could also get you a guide if you want to go with a guide the crew know or is probably related to.

There were at least 2 situations we witnessed at the dock as tourists were preparing to enter the customs building whereby "their guide" now wanted to be paid for his services, and they had never wanted him in the first place. It got ugly.

Just know that this is what you can expect if you go it alone but then going with a tour gets you the hard sell from the stores you are brought to.

Search this Thread