Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying airline tickets for Italy: Would it be cheaper buying them here or having my host buy them there?

Buying airline tickets for Italy: Would it be cheaper buying them here or having my host buy them there?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 12:40 PM
howard

We have been invited to Italy for early October. Our host has asked me to check into buying tickets here versus over there, i.e., which would be cheaper. Does anyone have any experience? I've never really comparison priced airline tickets for Europe. Any suggestions? Which airlines would you try? Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 05:34 PM
howard

Can't anyone out there help me??????? Thanks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 05:57 PM
sally

I can't imagine it makes a difference because it depends on which airline you use and your itineray is going to be the same no matter. I would suggest your look at Travelocity maybe. I did read recently about buying a ticket from the US to a city in Europe that it is cheap to fly to now and then buying a separate ticket from that location to your ultimate destination. Potentially this could be a cheaper alternative. Unless your good at this seems you might need a travel agent to help or maybe you could do it via Travelocity.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 04:13 AM
howard

Sally, thanks.
The only other thing I've heard is that it could depend of the relative value of the currency of the two country. I know friends of ours (who will be home tomorrow when I can check with them) have a son in Japan and they checked out where it was best to buy the tickets for visits both ways.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Giulia Nota

Hi,howard, i have relations coming up and down all the time from Italy to Florida to visit and i know that it is less expensive buying the tickets from Italy. Starting the 5th of september a flight from genova - London, London- Tampa roundtrip, with British airlines (exelent company) costs approximatly 450.00 us.I am not sure though, if you can purcase from Italy ,departing from the us.Right now the dollar is very strong against the Italian Lira (2040lira for 1 dollar) so you should do very good. Let me know if you have any other questions, i am Italian and i live here in Florida for only 2 years so i still know what is going on over there. Good luck Giulia

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:59 PM
howard

Giulia:
Thanks so much for your response. It helps in my "research". If I have any more questions, I will certainly get back to you.