Search

Cesme to Bodrum, or other Turquoise Coast town

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cesme to Bodrum, or other Turquoise Coast town

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Turkey in June, 9 nights that will include 2 in Istanbul, 2 in Cappadoccia, and 4 in either one or two stops along the Turquoise coast (+ last night in Istanbul before intl flight out.)

Having some trouble with the coastal part of our itinerary. My initial thought was to fly from Kayseri to Izmir, rent a car and spend 2 days in Cesme, drive to Bodrum and spend 2 1/2 days there before flying back to Istanbul to cath our intl flight home the following day.

But, a few questions: is this drive feasible? Havent read much about people doing this.
Is there a ferry route that connects the two intead, similar to the ferry system that connects the Dalmatian islands?
Alternatively, has anyone chartered a private small boat (not sure we will be happy to do a shared cabin charter)? I have not been able to find anything for just 2 people. And lastly, is there another resort we might favor over Cesme and/or Bodrum? Those are the two I see mentioned the most lately. We are newleyweds, both 30 yrs old and interested in beaches, great food and a bit of nightlife.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Michelle
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving is easy and the distance from cesme to Bodrum is about 4-4.5 hours.

I would still recommend that you pick Bodrum or Cesme rather than squeezing in Both.

Bodrum and cesme are different. Most Bodrum resorts are more touristy than Cesme, with the exception of Golturkbuku and yalikavak. Golturkbuku is the upscale, fashionable and expensive place to be, but the beach is nothing to rave about.

Cesme is middle class local and with a younger set, Ilica just before Cesme is more cosmopolitan, has some good beach clubs and will meet your requirements. Nearby Alacati has more upscale restaurants and boutique hotels but its beach is far and with very cold water. However, excellent for wind surfing.

If you rent the car at Izmir airport, you can visit Ephesus also before taking off to Bodrum or Cesme, or as you drive from one to the other.

The food will be better and somewhat cheaper in cesme region than in bodrum, and the night life less raucuous.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM

I agree with other, pick Cesme or Bodrum. I'm partial to Bodrum because you can party and see the Tomb of Halicarnassus or visit the underwater museum. Ephesus is a must-see though. It is about 45 minutes from Izmir and worth the trip. Just go early if you are going to be there in the summer. I went at 10 am and the heat was already insane.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM

Hi, I recently did the drive that "otherchelebi" mentioned in his post. My colleagues and I picked up a car in the Izmir airport and drove to Alacati (about an hour away on the toll road). We then enjoyed the Saturday market etc.

The next morning we drove to Ephesus (about 2 hours) and spend a long morning visiting the sights. We then drove to Bodrum for the evening (a little under 3 hours) and spent the next morning at the Castle and Underwater Museum. It was completely doable. However, I also think it better you choose one. The only reason we did these spots in so short a time is because we were on on an errand from Izmir to Fethiye and decided to do some sighseeing on the way. (We only had 9 days off from our jobs just south of the Turkish border).

And as for the things you hope to fit in: My boyfriend (from Izmir) likes the nightlife in Bodrum best. I prefer the romantic stone boutique hotels and food in Alacati (and the fact that the nightclubs are not near enough to disturb my sleep - in summer I hear that Babylon nightclub from Istanbul moves here), but for beaches would have to say I like Patara near Kas best. It is more secluded and has real (not pebbly) sand and the water is warm.

Finally, if you do decide to drive and don't drive a stick, be sure to mention it. We insured our car for two drivers and when the second driver couldn't drive manual and when we went back to change the car, they said they had no automatics at that time (my colleague wouldn't do so well on "The Amazing Race").